Graphical html email in campaigns NOT using direct email RRS feed

• Question

• I know that I can create an email template with graphical html code, however, you cannot track any usable information from that particular direct email after it is sent, so it's not very useful. 

If we need to send out an invitation for an event and have it looks professional (therefore campaign and quick campaign is out because this only allows basic text which is RIDICULOUS this is in the MARKETING module), how do we track responses, who accepted etc for direct email?

What's the point of having email campaigns if you can only send basic text?  This product is in its 4th version.  Do people typically market their customers without being able to gather ANY details?

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:34 PM

Answers

• Microsoft CRM Campaign and Quick Campaign email content supports HTML.   I can copy a website's HTML content and paste it into the email content area.  Is this not happening on your end?

Regarding the email tracking of opening/clicking on the email content's links - currently those functions are not out of the box.  There are 3rd Party ISVs (such as Exact Target) that support this.

Follow Workopia on Twitter

http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:38 PM

All replies

• Microsoft CRM Campaign and Quick Campaign email content supports HTML.   I can copy a website's HTML content and paste it into the email content area.  Is this not happening on your end?

Regarding the email tracking of opening/clicking on the email content's links - currently those functions are not out of the box.  There are 3rd Party ISVs (such as Exact Target) that support this.

Follow Workopia on Twitter

http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:38 PM
  • This is one of the most poorly developed areas in all of CRM. Yes you can cut and paste HTML to the email content. but if you need to make a change the fonts go crazy, some links fail etc. Its odd that MS, makers of WordPad, Word, Expressions, and FrontPage could not include a more robust and fault tolerant editor in CRM. This issue have been raised since version 1.2
    ExactTarget and other 3rd parties address the issue well, but when you market your product as a tool for marketing, there should not be the need for a third party in order to address such a basic marketing need.

Hopefully with the delay in Version 5, this will get the attention it requires -- once and for all.

Henry McCallum
    OmniVue, The Point of Software
    Hosted, On-Demand and On-Premise Dynamics
    www.omnivue.net 
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:34 PM
  • You have to understand the nature of the code that is required to implement that and also understand that not everyone is using MS technology.  And just because you send a pretty email from Outlook/CRM doesn't mean it will display to the recipient in the same format if they are not using the same type of mail client. 

If you ever try out ExactTarget, you will notice you get to import some customizations to the campaign, email, campaign response, and related entities...as well as some code in the ISV folder.  You will also notice an option to send using ExactTarget servers.  This is important because by nature of spam tracking, that code that tracks click-throughs can be flagged...and after it does a domain check and find that you may not be a reputable IP (not saying you are a spammer, but more we have no idea), you could have your email content stripped of the necessary code (among other things) that does tracking.  

Is it possible to do this "in-house", absolutely.  You need to create a WYSIWYG HTML editor, and a webserver to process the redirects so that the click-throughs are tracked.  And you also would need to make sure that your domain doesn't get blacklisted for running code requesting information to be send back to the sender (aka, possible malicious). 
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:09 AM
  • You're right. However a 1000 other things have also been raised. For version 3 I'm kinda glad they made the product usable (create new entities, more flexible relationships etc.) over putting in a nice email editor. For version 4 it was about internationalisation and hosted. Will they improve marketing in v5? Maybe. They're still trying to knock Salesforce off its perch based on the incentives they're offering for people to jump ship so if Salesforce has a better marketing module, I'm thinking so will v5.

If it doesn't their focus will probably be elsewhere. With add-ons like ExactTarget, its not a deal breaker.

What's on my wishlist? Being able to send Sales Literature in an email to a Contact easily. You want to talk about basic marketing functionality, there is a good start.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog

http://leontribe.blogspot.com/

or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:05 AM
  • On the heels of creating a workflow based on the type of lead to just push out an email with specific literature attachment, I totally agree with you Leon. 
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:09 PM