Still no way to back up shared folders? RRS feed

• Question

• One of the failings of the current version is that the "Shared" folders can not be backed up (yes I know about duplication).  Here is my scenario:

1. Dad uploads pics to shared folder.
    2. One week later kid decides to photoshop Mum so she has horns.
    3. One month later Mum views pic on the TV and wants the origonal picture back.
    4. Dad has to move out because there is no backup of the picture.

Gordon.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:52 AM

Answers

• Backing up of Shared Folders has been in Windows Home Server v1 since Power Pack 1 which was released in 2008.

Vail allows you to make a backup of the entire server to an external hard drive, and you can even remove the system drive from the storage pool to completely isolate storage from the system.

http://www.tomontech.com
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:24 AM

All replies

• I assume you do not have a non pool disk that you would backup to which does all the shares etc in WHSv1 - its not automatic but in does give you some backup

just installed Vail so am about to try the new backup features which i think will automate this :)

2 home servers plus vail test server 10tb storage combined
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:16 AM
  • Backing up of Shared Folders has been in Windows Home Server v1 since Power Pack 1 which was released in 2008.

Vail allows you to make a backup of the entire server to an external hard drive, and you can even remove the system drive from the storage pool to completely isolate storage from the system.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:24 AM

That sounds like a total system backup - as opposed to targeted backup of a particular set of data? Is that correct?
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:02 AM
  • Ok - I have searched through the Windows Home Server Console and have completly failed in finding this option, can you point me in the right direction?

Thx,

Gordon.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:48 AM
    • Connect a drive to your server.
    • Go through the "Add a drive" wizard.
    • At the appropriate time choose to add the drive as a backup drive, rather than to server storage.
    • Note that your server now appears in the list of computers.
    • Back up one or more server shares.
    • Right click the backup drive in the console. Choose to remove it, then choose to remove it temporarily.
    • Disconnect the drive when told it's safe, and take it off-site for safekeeping.
    Note that an eSATA drive may not appear as removable to the OS (they usually don't, in my experience), so the remove temporarily option won't be avaliable. Instead just shut your server down and disconnect the drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:33 PM

No, what we want is a nightly automatic backup of the shared folders a la "backup" of client PCs nightly,

and the consequent ability to restore a file or folder from any of those backups. 

This isn't in WHS 1 and is a major omission and shortcoming.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 12:42 AM
  • But it is fixed in v2
    Grey
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 1:01 AM
  • No, it's not.

I have an external backup drive and I have already done the "Shares" backup a la WHS v1.

But what most of us want would be to have the Server listed as a computer like all the others on the net. 

Then, each night the computer would backup to the external just like the others.  A full backup (depending on drive space, etc.)

Given my druthers, I'd like a full backup that could be restored as an image to rebuilt a server if need be.

RevBC

Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:15 AM
  • Please submit a product suggestion on Connect . Or even better, search for one (there are several) and vote it up. There is, however, a problem with nightly backups of a large storage pool: you may run out of space on your backup drive fairly soon. Also, nightly backups would discourage most people from taking their backups off-site.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Still not sure what you are looking for here. You can infact have scheduled backup the server to external disks.  You can also do a full system restore of the server from this backup, although feature is not fully implemented in this release.
    Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Dear Gordon,

First of all I am concerned about your children and how you have raised them. Do they not know that all such adjustments should be in a separate layer in Photoshop. Then you could just click on the eye symbol to make that horned layer invisible and Mrs Schmoo would be happy.

My solution to this is to have all my photographs on a 2TB in my machine that is included in the nightly backup. I have a Vice Versa job that runs regularly syncing my photos, music, ISOs etc to the Homeserver shares. Thus I have access to versioning under Homeserver daily backups, and I have a second version stored on the shares.

Regards,

Ian

Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:21 AM
  • If I had all my shares (photos, videos, music, documents) on a different machine which was backed up nightly by windows home server I would have exactly what I want (it wouldn't consume a lot of backup space since these are slow changing files - if they change at all).  Seems silly that I can't do it on the home server.

Gordon.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 9:03 AM
  • I still don't know what the OP is asking?

Since WHS V1 you can backup your shared folders to another drive. In V1 it was a manual process. In WHS V2 the default schedule is that the server backups (once you've added a drive and configured it to be a backup drive) are done at midday and 11pm.

In both versions of WHS the backups are incremental, so the space used by subsequent backups is minimal as only the changes are stored, not the entire backup again.

(And you still get to have versioning too)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Bodhi --  You too Ken:

Thank you for your response.  Yes, I agree that that you can set it up to back the whole thing up to the server storage on a scheduled basis. (And can restore.)

I am of the old school back it up every night, back up for the week on the weekend, take the weekends off site, backup the month and take it off site, etc.   I don't literally do that because my stuff is not corporate data, legal stuff and all that.  But I like multiple backups and being able to route them to a safe machine or take an external drive off site.

I would just like to:

1.  Have it make a whole computer backup.

2.  Be able to direct that to an external drive -- or perhaps map it to storage on another computer that is seldom used.

3.  Restore it if needed -- God forbid.

I'm just saying backup-wise I prefer to work with images and pull files from an image.  My choice.  Perhaps other don't feel the same.

Again, thanks.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:18 PM
  • But it's just Windows Server Backup under the hood. You have access to all that functionality; the GUI tool is there and should be fully functional. You can access files and folders in your backups using the recovery wizard in a remote desktop session. Doing so is unsupported, and I'm short of storage to be able to check for you (perhaps you could test on your own?), but I can't imagine there would be any real problem doing so.
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Comments inline - my comments are specific to Vail

Bodhi --  You too Ken:

Thank you for your response.  Yes, I agree that that you can set it up to back the whole thing up to the server storage on a scheduled basis. (And can restore.)

I am of the old school back it up every night, back up for the week on the weekend, take the weekends off site, backup the month and take it off site, etc.   I don't literally do that because my stuff is not corporate data, legal stuff and all that.  But I like multiple backups and being able to route them to a safe machine or take an external drive off site.

[Bodhi] Yes that is indeed really old school G->F->S scheme full and differential backups and was required for tape backups. In Vail all backups are incremental (but every backup version is actually fully restorable whether you want to restore individual files or the whole system) All of what you are asking for is there in the current vail implementation. Just configure server to backup to multiple external disks. Keep one disk onsite and periodically take one or more disks offsite, rotating them. Each disk will have fully restorable versions of backup.   

I would just like to:

1.  Have it make a whole computer backup.

[Bodhi] Yes with Vail. All backups are full (storage is incremental to optimize space but you shouldnt care)

2.  Be able to direct that to an external drive -- or perhaps map it to storage on another computer that is seldom used.

[Bodhi] Yes with Vail.

3.  Restore it if needed -- God forbid.

[Bodhi] Everytime you backup you can restore individual files from it or the entire system,

I'm just saying backup-wise I prefer to work with images and pull files from an image.  My choice.  Perhaps other don't feel the same.

[Bodhi] We are all sort of confused what you are asking for here, since it is there. I have feeling you actually havent tried the server backup feature in Vail yet. I believe most of your questions will be answered automatically once you do that :-). So please try it, we built this to make it really easy so that people dont have to go through all that daily weekly monthly policies.  

Again, thanks.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 6:53 PM