Username conflict with Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using WHS v1.

Prior to Windows 8, all my machines used the same username "David" and password, and this user was entered in the Home Server console.

My new Windows 8 machine uses my Microsoft account, and the "username" is therefore an email address. However Windows 8 does not use this name (in Windows Explorer, for example), but rather picks another name, which in my case turned out to be (you guessed it) "David".

When you enter a Windows 8 user account (with Live ID) in the Home Server console, my understaning is that you should enter this other name. This is a problem, because my normal "David" password is not the same as my Microsoft account password, and you cannot have two Home Server user accounts with the same name but different passwords.

I suppose I could make the passwords for these two types of "David" account the same, but I really do not want to. Is this the only solution, though?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:24 AM

All replies

• First, V1 is no longer supported, so you should consider upgrading to Windows Home Server 2011 (mainstream support until late next year), or to Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

Now, as to your problem: You're using workgroup computing, since Windows Home Server (any version) can't participate in a domain. In order to have seamless access to server resources, your local username and password must match a username and password on the server. This is the recommended configuration.

Alternatively, you can establish persistent mappings to your server's shares (either creating mappings manually in Windows Explorer or via the use of the net use command), and enter a username and password as part of that process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Thanks for the response, though I am not sure how it relates to my specific Windows 8 question, unless you are implicitly confirming that there is no way I can enter my Windows 8 "David" account into my WHS if there is already an account with the same name but different password.

The way I have actually gotten access to my WHS from Windows 8 is to use the Credential Manager to give the Windows 8 machine access to the Administrator account on the Home Server (the only account there is). What do you think of this from a security (or other) viewpoint?

As to using WHS V1 or V2, I'm afraid I am going to give up on WHS quite soon. Despite warnings that it is not supported, I have been running WHS1 in a virtual machine (using VMWare Server) on my Windows 7 HTPC. It has worked really well for me, and I had been thinking of moving to Windows 8 with Hyper-V and WHS2, but now that WHS is being discontinued I think I am just going to use the Windows 8 HTPC as the server. I will miss the backups though.

Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Hi David

My remedy was to make a local user on my win 8 machine the same as my whs v1 user name. This way on my win8 pc, I switch between my email (hotmail) logon name for external internet use, then switch users to the local name for my lan stuff. I've been running my whs v1 for years, if it ain't broke . . .  who needs support when it does all that I need for a lan server.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:15 PM
  • My remedy was to make a local user on my win 8 machine the same as my whs v1 user name. This way on my win8 pc, I switch between my email (hotmail) logon name for external internet use, then switch users to the local name for my lan stuff.
    Yes, I might do that also, but the problem is that Windows 8 has "stolen" the name "David" that is the username that I use on all my other machines.
    I've been running my whs v1 for years, if it ain't broke . . . who needs support when it does all that I need for a lan server.
    I agree, but I run WHS in a virtual machine, and when/if I upgrade the host (my HTPC) from Windows 7 to Windows 8, I will need to reconfigure everything, so I will probably give up on WHS at that time.

Friday, June 7, 2013 5:25 PM