hacker RRS feed

• Question

• Where do I start? I have run the diagnostic tool and validated windows..It is windows XP home version 2002 service pack 2 reg to me  on Toshiba notebook MPoTo1oA1V06..I have a hacker in my operating system namely C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe-K netsvcs..I cannot use windows explorer..he has directed this to "my documents" I have no administrator options and many important changes have been made..I only retain control of my network DSL because I put the IP address in manually as soon as it opens..I cannot do a full recovery this has been disabled despite me enabling it..I cannot restore to an earlier time..I cannot even download update programs from Microsoft related to security issues..in fact most operations are blocked and he is in my windows Live One Care under "Ian Local Network"..there I have isolated him to home or office network whilst I operate as if in public place to tighten firewall..Even if I uninstall live one care and reinstall he is there again because he's in my operating system..Even though I know where he is in the sytem and the damage he has done (I have deleted or removed many of the programs he has devised) it is frustrating because I cannot get to him to remove him..Can u please help with this prob? many thanks Andrew..andrewbyd@hotmail.com

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:27 AM

Answers

• Andrew Boyd,

Your best option is to start the computer while disconnected from the internet, and backup and offload your data to an external hard disk or flash drive.

Once that's done, use the Recovery solution provided by Toshiba to wipe the user portion of the hard disk and cleanly install XP once again.

If the Recovery solution is not working (you mentioned that you think the virus or hacker has disabled it), please contact Toshiba tech support for assistance.  I am not very familiar with how the recovery solution works on your specific Toshiba, but on many manufacturer's computers you can start the recovery process from a choice on the computer's startup screen before Windows starts, which would bypass the hacker's control over the computer.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:42 PM

All replies

• Andrew Boyd,

Your best option is to start the computer while disconnected from the internet, and backup and offload your data to an external hard disk or flash drive.

Once that's done, use the Recovery solution provided by Toshiba to wipe the user portion of the hard disk and cleanly install XP once again.

If the Recovery solution is not working (you mentioned that you think the virus or hacker has disabled it), please contact Toshiba tech support for assistance.  I am not very familiar with how the recovery solution works on your specific Toshiba, but on many manufacturer's computers you can start the recovery process from a choice on the computer's startup screen before Windows starts, which would bypass the hacker's control over the computer.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Thanks Dan,,since I wrote this I have gone into regedit and found him in the registry and deleted both his files..tried to reboot through microsoft windows instead of windows default but the message reads cannot boot because of a hard disc configuration problem..he is also still in windows one live care and retains control of my DSL internet until I manage to put the IP address in manually..So he is still there..As the recovery disc will not operate under any circumstances nor will the recovery on the hard drive u may be right..I may have to seek assistance from Toshiba..many thanks for taking the time to try and assist

Andrew

• Proposed as answer by TANUJ JANE Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by TANUJ JANE Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:48 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Andrew Boyd,

You're welcome, and Good Luck getting it all worked out!

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:15 PM