Reinstalling Office Professional Academic 2010 On Another Computer After Computer Crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here's my situation.  I have a notebook (we'll call it NB1) with Office Professional 2007, a second notebook (we'll call it NB2) with Office Professional Academic 2010 and a desktop PC with Office Professional Academic 2010.  NB2 crashed and has become a paper weight.  I'm going to purchase a new NB.  Can I uninstall Office Professional 2007 and reinstall Office Professional Academic 2010 on NB1 without any issues.  Are there any steps I need to take?  I am under the impression that you had to first uninstall NB2  but now there is no way of doing it because it has crashed.

I appreciate your help.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:30 PM

Answers

• Hello CA Dolfan,

Please read the Software Licensing Terms for your Office 2010 Pro Academic.  Look in the first few papragraphs for the term "licensed device(s)."  It will tell you whether you can install on one licensed device or two.

If one, you can install and activate Office Aca 2010 onto NB1.  When you activate, if you are told that Office has been installed on too many computers, rerun the activation and choose telephonic activation, then do not enter or say anything into the system which will shunt you to a live representative.  Explain the crash and the move and they will activate it.

If two, you can install it on NB1 and the new NB.  Same advice for activation as above.

As your Office 2010 computer is dead, look up the license terms here:  http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

There is an entry for Office Professional Academic 2010 in the dropdowns.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 17, 2010 10:35 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:10 PM

All replies

• Hello CA Dolfan,

Please read the Software Licensing Terms for your Office 2010 Pro Academic.  Look in the first few papragraphs for the term "licensed device(s)."  It will tell you whether you can install on one licensed device or two.

If one, you can install and activate Office Aca 2010 onto NB1.  When you activate, if you are told that Office has been installed on too many computers, rerun the activation and choose telephonic activation, then do not enter or say anything into the system which will shunt you to a live representative.  Explain the crash and the move and they will activate it.

If two, you can install it on NB1 and the new NB.  Same advice for activation as above.

As your Office 2010 computer is dead, look up the license terms here:  http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

There is an entry for Office Professional Academic 2010 in the dropdowns.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 17, 2010 10:35 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Thank you for the response.
    Louie Grajeda
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 6:40 AM