Suggestions RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here are some of my suggestions that need to be added into the WHS Console. Yes, some of this is a repeat, though it is bundled with other needed functionality.

1) the console needs to be more 'user friendly' - More options need to be available from it. How many parents that get this home server to really do what we are doing here? It needs to be very simple and very straight forward.

2) From the console, wouldnt it make a better 'ease of use' to have it so the programs we want our family to have available on the server?

2a) for example, I only want my daughter / son to only be able to play a specific game. when that child logs on to the computer only that application is available. example - in the software, it would be a little easier to say who gets the software instead of none or all... I want to have games, IM etc there, my wife may want access to everything; while we can select what our child can and cant have. (on a individual basis)

2b) i go one step further and have it so the server is available from the outside world. though the application may not be available, the restriction of all the other items will be in effect.

3) when in the WHS - policies and such are nice, they need to be available at the console. click on joe, go to the properties, and have more choices... approved applications, websites, and a policy of when it is too late at night or too early in the morning to login.

All of the functions that I would need to manage the computers in my home are not available and not how most other people would consider 'easy'...

In my opinion, the Windows Home Server should be more than just being able to back up files, and connecting to a xbox. (and the other tasks other people have mentioned) It needs to be made for the home. If someone goes off on a tangent about 20 or 30 people - buy a regular server. sure there is the family reunion where people will be by. all of them arent bringing a laptop or a computer either.

Also to mention again, it would be nice to have the 'deployment' option if there a new computer comes in; the people logging in get what they need; while blocking the other stuff...

I probably repeated myself here - im getting this in during lunch....

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hio

These are all really good suggestions :-)

Have you gone to Microsoft Connect and registered them as suggestions for others to vote on for WHS V2? If you havent, you should!

Andrew

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 6:21 PM
  • 1) the console needs to be more 'user friendly' - More options need to be available from it. How many parents that get this home server to really do what we are doing here? It needs to be very simple and very straight forward.

What other options (based on what WHS currently provides) do you see as missing?

2a) for example, I only want my daughter / son to only be able to play a specific game. when that child logs on to the computer only that application is available. example - in the software, it would be a little easier to say who gets the software instead of none or all... I want to have games, IM etc there, my wife may want access to everything; while we can select what our child can and cant have. (on a individual basis)
    Not sure how that could be implemented; it means WHS would need to list every application in every machine for you to individually select which ones can be used and at which time. How does that sit with Q1) ?

2b) i go one step further and have it so the server is available from the outside world. though the application may not be available, the restriction of all the other items will be in effect.
    Not sure what you mean, could you expand?

All of the functions that I would need to manage the computers in my home are not available and not how most other people would consider 'easy'...
    I don't think such options were mentioned for this release, but specifics (some you've mentioned) are well worth posting on Connect - but they need to specific, not general.

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:30 PM