Extremely slow upload to server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have installed WHS a couple of days ago but I'm still struggling with one big problem.
    I have backed up my entire music collection from my old Windows Server 2003 installation to my normal PC and now I have WHS I want to upload these couple of gigs to the sharded Music folder on my WHS.
    But the max speed I reach is about 200kb/ps, so it will take days for me to upload my collection! And the strange thing is, when I download from the server, it's done in just 2 seconds per file!
    My drivers are up-to-date and it's just the same setup as the old Windows Server 2003 installation which worked like a charm. Maybe it's because the server is spreading the data over the disks or something? I can't imagine this would slow done the process that much. There are also no 99% CPU processes when transfering...

Here's a screenshot of the tranferdialog while transfering: http://vantim.net/speed.jpg
    Friday, June 6, 2008 10:58 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your reply. I have already tried to make another share as you said (so not in the WHS console), but still I got the same speeds. The strange thing is, it can't be something in my hardware because it has worked perfectly before Surprise

Edit: Strange, but now, when I have downloaded a couple of gigs to my server, the upload speed is normal again Tongue Tied I don't know if this is the true cause but it's working Smile
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 8:14 AM

All replies

•  Timmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:
    Hi,
    I have installed WHS a couple of days ago but I'm still struggling with one big problem.
    I have backed up my entire music collection from my old Windows Server 2003 installation to my normal PC and now I have WHS I want to upload these couple of gigs to the sharded Music folder on my WHS.
    But the max speed I reach is about 200kb/ps, so it will take days for me to upload my collection! And the strange thing is, when I download from the server, it's done in just 2 seconds per file!
    My drivers are up-to-date and it's just the same setup as the old Windows Server 2003 installation which worked like a charm. Maybe it's because the server is spreading the data over the disks or something? I can't imagine this would slow done the process that much. There are also no 99% CPU processes when transfering...

Here's a screenshot of the tranferdialog while transfering: http://vantim.net/speed.jpg

Unfortunately, that is a fairly common problem (although not usually that low).  When I upload large video files to my WHS, it starts out at normal upload speeds, but starts dropping down to around 2-3 Mbps as time goes on (due to the way DE moves files in the background while you're uploading at the same time).

If you want to find out if it's really DE messing up your upload speeds, try creating a new network share on the server, but do it outside of WHS (logon to the server desktop and create it yourself, somewhere where there is plenty of room, perhaps on root D:\  ).  If it uploads fine there, then it's definitely DE causing the problems.

Power Pack 1 is supposed to improve the upload speeds.  You can sign up for the beta program now on Connect.

Saturday, June 7, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. I have already tried to make another share as you said (so not in the WHS console), but still I got the same speeds. The strange thing is, it can't be something in my hardware because it has worked perfectly before Surprise

Edit: Strange, but now, when I have downloaded a couple of gigs to my server, the upload speed is normal again Tongue Tied I don't know if this is the true cause but it's working Smile
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 8:14 AM
  • Are you running AV or Disk Defragging software on your WHS box? This often slows down speeds.

And as mentioned, PP1 has some very cool performance enhancements in it :-)

Andrew

Saturday, June 7, 2008 4:54 PM