How to bulk import opportunities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there is a way to bulk import opportunities? I have a CSV file with 3 lines: headers on the first line, and 2 lines of data.

Contact,Record Manager, Probability,Close Date,Product,Currency
    John Doe,my_username,85,18-Nov-06,P1,US Dollar
    Jane Doe,my_username,75,03-Jun-02,P2,US Dollar

I crated a datamap that links this way:

Contact ----- Map to "Potential Customer" in CRM
    Record Manager ----- Map to "Owner" in CRM
    Probability ----- Map to "Probability" in CRM
    Close Date ----- Map to "Estimated Close Date" in CRM
    Product ----- Map to "Topic" in CRM
    Currency ----- Map to "Currency" in CRM

When I try to do my import, I get 2 failures. The error message is the same for each and reads:

Desription: The Source Data is not in the required format
    Column Heading: Contact
    Column Value: John Doe
    Original Row Number: 2
    Source Row: John Doe,my_username,85,18-Nov-06,P1,US Dollar

Does this mean that I cannot use the contact's full name in my import file? What should I use then, and where do I get it?

Al
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:55 PM

Answers

• To anyone it may interest...

The solution is this:

The column names in the CSV file that will be imported must match the CRM attribute display names. For example, if I create a new opportunity, I noted that the CRM attribute display names (field display names) are Topic, Potential Customer, Est. Close Date, Rating, etc. If I use the same names in my inport files, CRM 4.0 will AUTOMATICALLY map the fields for me. This will work for text fields, lookups, and Picklists...

Joel, when looking at an opportunity, I noted that the Potential Customer is listed as "Firstname Lastname." However, if importing Contact records, I suspect this would be reversed as you suggested.

Thanks everyone.

Al
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:58 PM

All replies

• One thing I can think of is that the Potential Customer lookup in CRM formats the name Lastname, Firstname.  What happens if you make it Doe, John?

Saturday, June 7, 2008 11:15 AM
  • To anyone it may interest...

The solution is this:

The column names in the CSV file that will be imported must match the CRM attribute display names. For example, if I create a new opportunity, I noted that the CRM attribute display names (field display names) are Topic, Potential Customer, Est. Close Date, Rating, etc. If I use the same names in my inport files, CRM 4.0 will AUTOMATICALLY map the fields for me. This will work for text fields, lookups, and Picklists...

Joel, when looking at an opportunity, I noted that the Potential Customer is listed as "Firstname Lastname." However, if importing Contact records, I suspect this would be reversed as you suggested.

Thanks everyone.

Al
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:58 PM