just adding my vote for one care to allow advanced users to select devices RRS feed

• General discussion

• OK, I am sure others have posted about this and I have read that the OneCare team knows but just wanted to add my say:

the default of looking for an "external device" is ok for average users, I get it.

but e-sata drives and desktops with drive bays are not uncommon and are very good backup drives for amny users.

what I would recommend is look at the boot drives partition table.
    for advanced users allow them to select drives but do warn that backup on the same drive that is the boot drive is not a good idea.
    that could also be used for a kind of "intermediate" setting:
    basic / default : like it is now
    intermediate :  block the boot disk but list other disks
    advanced : allow any drives and show logical volumes that are on the same device with warnings.

now that would I think satisfy all users and give a middle level that sees esata but blocks the old-school dumb error of having say drive 0 parted as C and D and backing up C to D
    --- that's the thing I am sure you guys are trying to keep total beginners from doing by mistake or lack of tech Know-How

Grrr meant to "start a discussion" not "ask a question" My Bad!
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 5:57 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback. Since retail sale of One Care is due to end June 30th, but will be fully supported through the end of 2010, I don't think there will be any new feature development to the program. 
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. Since retail sale of One Care is due to end June 30th, but will be fully supported through the end of 2010, I don't think there will be any new feature development to the program. 

WTF ?? what ???  so Microsoft is abandoning it? I did not know this... guess I need to see what's going on, and will there be any replacement to OC a new offering
    or what.

also this is like the 3rd time that MSFT has offered a PC care package and then gave up, i recall a version of DOS that had a bundled AV that later was discarded due to users not knowing  they could update it.

Wow.... so I better start looking for 3rd party apps to replace OC I guess....
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:02 PM
  • You don't need to start looking for an alternative just yet. One Care will be fully supported through the end of 2010. The plan is to offer a free antimalware product called Morro beginning in the second half of this year. You can read the announcement here - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/64d5a8bf-5c4f-4389-8510-76f233c65aa6
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:09 PM
  • free - OMG.... what a silly thing to do IMHO

why:  no revenue == no reason to listen to the "customer"

MS did this with VPC and so we can't get them to fix it for things like USB device support etc....
    free sounds good to some folks but in the end it's a bad idea IMHO.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:11 PM
  • yeah i found that info...

but it just does not sit well....

I can see a need to reach users that can't afford the sub but I also do not think that free with no revenue is a good move -- not in the end.

and MSFT has just got the "Live" brand started really and now it's losing a product....

Jim I have used MSFT stuff for many years, all the way back to DOS 3.1 and Basic on the COmmodore 64
    I am a developer and run the backend of a medium sized business.

I saw Virtual PC go "free" and saw the features added in the current VPC 2007 as weak to almost none. and I just hate the feeling of " you get what you paid for, it's free so take it or leave it"  I'd rather be a paying customer with the ability to say "I will keep paying if you fix stuff"

thats my take anyway...
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Free is not always a bad thing. Most Windows Live apps are free, work well, and are loaded with user driven features. I own a drawer full of software that I paid for that either didn't meet my expectations, lacked features that I deemed important, or had really bad support, so you don't always get what you pay for.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:09 PM
  • I'll make it even more clear than Jim, the entire set of problems that have existed with OneCare to this point have to the greatest extent had nothing to do with the anti-malware, they've been issues with the other features or the Windows Live authentication system itself.  Simply take a look at each of the forums here for a few minutes each and you'll quickly discover all sorts of issues or complaints relating to the other 'features' including those for backup that you were discussing here yourself.  By dropping these features all of these side issues simply vaporize and leave behind a good basic antimalware protection which is what OneCare was originally intended to provide.

In fact, Installation and Activation issues are one of the most common, most of which relate to user confusion or ancillary problems with the .NET platform required to support the subscriptions themselves.  Though the Windows Live authentication system works fine to support products such as email which contain a natural link, it's unfortunately horribly confusing when it becomes detached from those email accounts as a separate 'billing' account, since consumers can't understand the concept of an account that's named after an email account, but really isn't required to be an email account.  This has become the most problematic portion of the product, even though these accounts work quite effectively for other services such as email, IM or even unrelated services such as Picture Gallery, since the email account link makes more sense in these cases.

I understand your fear that the product will decay because its free.  However, in truth this doesn't really matter, since they were already effectively giving OneCare away at the unit price and relatively small market penetration.  The original reason for purchase of an antivirus and antispyware products/companies was to create a set of good basic security products for business (ForeFront Suite), and the consumer (OneCare) as well as free offerings such as Windows Defender and the MSRT.  The only change here is that the OneCare product will be dropped as an 'all-in-one suite' and converted to a free full fledged antimalware, covering all types of malware.  In fact, since all of these Microsoft security products provide some amount of telemetry, including detection of new potential malware, a wider distribution of the products simply improves the breadth of coverage and potential for such detection.  In other words, the more installations and the wider the distribution there is the better, no matter what the products themselves look like.

The intention here is to provide a free product that anyone can use and gain the most basic protection that Microsoft has been recommending everyone install for years now.  Then, for those that prefer a more capable suite of all-in-one features, they can turn to the third-party offerings that usually come at a cost.  This way the Microsoft consumer offering is no longer 'competing' directly against those richer third-party products, but still provides a baseline for security against which other products can be measured, keeping the bar high enough to better protect its customers.  Also remember, Microsoft provides malware removal support free for its OS customers, so now they'll have a free product to offer them once the clean-up has been completed to help avoid that customer's return in the future which is a huge potential cost savings.

Overall, I believe this is a much more coherent strategy for Microsoft, since their real purpose has never been to take over the security product arena, but rather to protect their operating system product sales which is their real money maker and the base for all their other for profit products.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:25 AM