OCS 2007 R2 and Desktop Sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to install OCS 200 R2 with minimum options but I want to have Desktop Sharing facility. I have just one physical server to install OCS 2007 R2 Standard Edition. I don't have a second physical server where I can install CWA Server.

1. Can I use Desktop Sharing without installing CWA Server in a separate server?
    2. If not, How Can I install CWA Server into save physical server where I will install OCS 2007 R2

I want to activate Desktop sharing only for internal user with Communicator R2

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:34 AM

Answers

• You can install CWA on servers with other roles (except OCS Servers) but it is not recomended and if the other roles use IIS you might get port conflicts.

When you install Standard Edition you don´t create a pool. The pool option is for Enterprise Edition. Since the Standard Edition do not have a load balancing option there is no need for pool setup.

The FQDN for your "pool" is the FQDN of your Standard Edition Server.

/T

• Marked as answer by mkhan100 Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:52 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Yes, the SRV record refers to the A record you've created for your OCs Front-End Server.  The requirement is that the domain used in the SRV record must match the domain of the referenced A record.

So this is valid:

SRV _sipinternaltls._tcp.domain.com = ocsserver.domain.com
    A   ocsserver.domain.com   = 172.16.1.100

But this would be invalid:

A   ocsserver.addomain.local   = 172.16.1.100

The FQDNs of both records must be in the same domain.  So if your AD domain is the same as the SIP domain you are using for SIP-enabled accounts, then you'll be fine.  But if you have different domain names, say addomain.local for Active Directory but your SMTP and SIP domains are domain.com, then you'll need to setup a new A record pointing to the the IP address of the FE server.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by mkhan100 Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:11 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:33 PM

All replies

• Ýou can use desktop sharing without CWA, of course only with communicator.
    Johann Deutinger | MCTS Exchange 2007 / OCS 2007
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:34 AM
  • I'm curious if you read somewhere that there was a requirement of CWA for utilizing Desktop Sharing?  If so, can you link to that (incorrect) documentation?  Thanks.

Also, make sure that you have a completely functional Standard Edition server as any multi-party (3 or more) Desktop Sharing sessions are not peer-to-peer communication but requires a functional Web Conferencing and A/V Conferencing service as the Front-End server handles multi-party sessions.  Also make sure that SRTP media communications are allowed through any internal firewalls or VPN tunnels that may separate any internal workstations as Desktop Sharing communications are actually RDP over SRTP.

You can find more details in the Desktop Sharing Architecture section of the R2 documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd572758(office.13).aspx
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Thank you to both Jess and Jwdberlin for your answer. Can I install CWA server on a computer where other server (Database or crystal report) are working or I have to have a dedicated server for CWA only?  

Another Question:

I am trying to install Standard edition of OCS 2007 R2 but SetupSe.exe doesn't give me the option to create a pool before my installation of OCS. According to TechNet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/dd441316(office.13).aspx, where it says "We recommend that you deploy at least one Office Communications Server 2007 R2 pool or server in your internal network before you deploy any other servers in an Office Communications Server 2007 R2 topology" but I am not sure how to create a Pool. If I don't have any pool, I cann't create DNS SRV Record as it requir me to type the FQDN for my pool. 

Thannk you in advance.  
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:34 AM
  • You can install CWA on servers with other roles (except OCS Servers) but it is not recomended and if the other roles use IIS you might get port conflicts.

When you install Standard Edition you don´t create a pool. The pool option is for Enterprise Edition. Since the Standard Edition do not have a load balancing option there is no need for pool setup.

The FQDN for your "pool" is the FQDN of your Standard Edition Server.

/T

• Marked as answer by mkhan100 Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:52 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Thank you Tobbe for your both answer.

But one part of the question remains unclear which is when I create DNS SRV Record, I Just put my OCS server name( servername.com) in FQDN for pool. Is it sounds right for standard edition?

Thanks again.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Yes, the SRV record refers to the A record you've created for your OCs Front-End Server.  The requirement is that the domain used in the SRV record must match the domain of the referenced A record.

So this is valid:

A   ocsserver.domain.com   = 172.16.1.100

But this would be invalid:

A   ocsserver.addomain.local   = 172.16.1.100

The FQDNs of both records must be in the same domain.  So if your AD domain is the same as the SIP domain you are using for SIP-enabled accounts, then you'll be fine.  But if you have different domain names, say addomain.local for Active Directory but your SMTP and SIP domains are domain.com, then you'll need to setup a new A record pointing to the the IP address of the FE server.

• Marked as answer by mkhan100 Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:11 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Thanks very much Jeff for your answer.

Two more questions.

1. I am planning to install OCS R2 in win 2003 SP2. Do you think that before I start my installation of OCS, I should install the hotfix microsoft says "

Windows Server 2008 Windows Updates

The following operating system updates are prerequisites for deploying Office Communications Server 20007 R2:

• Microsoft Knowledge Base article 953582, "You may be unable to install a program that tries to register extensions under the IQueryForm registry entry in Windows Server 2008 or in Windows Vista," at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=131392.
      This update must be installed before you install Office Communications Server 2007 R2 administrative tools. It applies to Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista.
    • Microsoft Knowledge Base article 953990, “AV at mscorwks!SetAsyncResultProperties,” at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=131394.
      This update applies to Windows Server 2003 SP2
      and Windows Server 2008.

If yes, which on I should use among this? I suspect,  NDP20SP1-KB953990-x64.exe

NDP20SP1-KB953990-x86.exe

runtime binary, 1372K, uploaded Sep 23 2008 - 103 downloads

NDP20SP1-KB953990-x64.exe

runtime binary, 2395K, uploaded Sep 23 2008 - 397 downloads

Windows6.0-KB953990-x64.msu

runtime binary, 2239K, uploaded Sep 23 2008 - 348 downloads

Question: 2

Do I have to Install IIS before I start my installation or installation will prompt me to installa IIS later?

Thank you and I am very happy with the answers all of you have given me so far.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:29 PM
  • Hi All, started OCS R2 installation but the installation failed with the following errors. 1. Activate Standard Edition server Fail: Failure [0xC3EC796C] One or more errors occurred during execution of the wizard; the wizard was unable to complete successfully. Please check the log file for more information 2. Failure [0x80070421] The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified. Please help.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:47 PM