CRM 2013 With Windows Server Essentials R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I will deploy CRM 2013 on-premise with IFD. The (virtual) servers will live in their own domain. According to the IG, CRM 2013 shouldn't run on a Domain Controller. That means I need at least two OSs. So my idea is

* Server Essentials 2012 R2 to run in Core mode to host two VMs
    * Same Server Essentials 2012 R2 in one VM. This will be the domain controller, run Active Directory and host ADFS
    * Server Essentials 2012 R2 Std in the other VM to host CRM Server 2013 running on the default website (443) and SQL Server.

We have less than 25 users so from a licensing point of view we can use Server Essentials. My main question is if this configuration is supported. Does anybody know?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:18 PM

All replies

• Hi

I think Windows Server Essentials is not a supported Configuration for CRM 2013.

As quoted from MSDN : (Original Link:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh699671(v=crm.6).aspx#BKMK_Windows_Server_2012   )

Windows Server operating system

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2013 can be installed only on Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012 64-bit-based computers. The specific versions and editions of Windows Server that are supported for installing and running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2013 are listed in the following sections.

ImportantImportant
    The following Windows Server versions are not supported for installing and running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2013:

• Windows Server 2012 R2 editions (support pending update rollup)
    • Windows Server 2012 Foundation
    • Windows Server 2012 Essentials
    • Microsoft Windows Small Business Server editions
    • The Windows Server 2003 family of operating systems 

Also, notice that : Windows Server 2012 R2 is not supported as of now.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:39 PM
  • Thanks. Indeed Server 2012 R2 is not supported so I probably will use Server 2012. As for the Essentials version, I am not going to install Dynamics CRM 2013 on the Essentials VM. More concretely, can the Essential R2 edition be a domain controller and host ADFS and allow proper 'communication' with Dynamics CRM 2013 for the authentication and whatever else might be needed?
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:53 PM
  • I am not sure about that either.

Microsoft doesn't list Server essentials as supported configuration for AD setup.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa772142(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks

---------------------------------------

If my answer helped you, kindly mark it as answer

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:57 PM
  • This link only shows OSs up to 2008. None of the Server 2012 versions are mentioned. Therefore, I think this might be outdated. I found the following link which seems to say that even Essentials can be a DC. I am just not sure if it does all that CRM 2013 requires (with CRM 2013 installed on a different VM running Server 2012 Std).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412831.aspx

Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:08 PM
  • Sorry but i could not find anywhere mentioned that Essentials supports DC. On the link you pasted. Did I miss something or you pasted wrong link.

True. Even I cant say if Essential will go good with CRM. Frankly, I havent done any CRM implementation on Server Essentials

Thanks

Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Hi

Did you get any more information on this post of yours.

Even I am interested to know if it worked with Server Essentials for you.

Thanks

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:10 AM