CRM 2013: openEntityForm and window.open issues RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm seeing a few issues in 2013 with openEntityForm and window.open... wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar or has figured out any sort of workaround. FYI, these are from the context of a window that has been popped from a command bar button.

- Xrm.Utility.openEntityForm. 2 issues with this. 1) Links open in the previous window (where I clicked the command bar button) instead of in a new window. Would be nice if I at least had the option to open a new window, but this isn't a deal-breaker. 2) This function seems to not work at all in IE Metro or iPad Safari.... I don't see anything happening at all.

- window.open. I switched to using window.open for everything except Outlook, and initially everything seemed fine. However, after a certain point (and I haven't been able to nail this down... guessing it might have something to do with changing a view or something on the main page) new windows open the last view I looked at, rather than the record I want. I can take the same exact URL for the opened window and paste it into a new browser window, and that successfully opens the record as I'd expect.

Anyone else seeing similar issues?

Thanks!

Matt

Friday, November 15, 2013 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

I would like to add my observations.

1. The window.open() doesn't work the same way it worked in CRM 2011. In 2013, if you try opening a new entity form using windows.open() with some extraqs parameters, it doesn't open the new entity form, instead it opens the same form that you are currently on. (This is just my observation, I may be wrong). So, few of our functionality was not working. To make it work, we changed our code to use Xrm.Page.openEntityForm() instead of windows.open(). And extensively changed the way we were populating the fields on this new entity form. We had to change from extraqs to use form parameters.

2. You are right, Xrm.Page.openEntityForm() does opens up in the same browser/page (inline). It replaces the current record you are working on. I didn't find it as an issue because based on our requirement, my team agreed to live with it.

Thanks,

Swaroop

Friday, November 15, 2013 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

We have an Iframe on a record and we are showing some other record in this Iframe by setting the URL of the record.But the issue here is, Iframe is always showing the main record on which this Iframe is placed.Can you please provide a solution for this?

We are using MS CRM 2013 on-premise for this.

Thanks and Regards,

Mahi

• Edited by Mahi K Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:50 PM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Hi Mahi,

Can you share your code?

Thanks,

Swaroop

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:50 PM
  • 1. The window.open() doesn't work the same way it worked in CRM 2011. In 2013, if you try opening a new entity form using windows.open() with some extraqs parameters, it doesn't open the new entity form, instead it opens the same form that you are currently on. 

I am seeing the same issue, however I do not think openEntityForm will be an acceptable solution for my system.  Has this been resolved in any of the 2013 URs or SP1?

Thanks,

Chris

Friday, June 20, 2014 5:51 PM