Old systems and new big HDD's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I've been reading through the forum for a while now and have noticed quite a few of you are using older Hardeware, which is an idea I really like. 

I was wondering if there were any problems with using big new Hard Drives with this type of Hardware ?

Isn't there a risk in using Hard Drives that are 2 or 3 times larger than the BIOS limit of the motherboard ?

I've got an old PIII Dual Proc motherboard I'd like to use as the base for my Windows Home Server, but its BIOS has a 137Gb limit, so I'm a little worried abit using it as a Storage, Backup device.

Any advice, answers or knowledge, would be more than welcome.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 9:09 PM

Answers

• If you have an older motherboard that doesn't support 48 bit LBA, you may be able to use an add-in PCI card. Unless you can easily configure the add-in card as the primary boot device, you'll probably also need to install a hard drive smaller than 137 GB as the system drive.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 9:50 PM

All replies

• If you have an older motherboard that doesn't support 48 bit LBA, you may be able to use an add-in PCI card. Unless you can easily configure the add-in card as the primary boot device, you'll probably also need to install a hard drive smaller than 137 GB as the system drive.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 9:50 PM
  • I upgraded an old pc (HP) but had to get a new bios that HP didn't have to support a hard drive greater than 130gig or so.  Got it from

http://www.esupport.com  .

My hardware has a limit of about 500gig, but I could get a separate ide board (but haven't)

Bernie

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 5:29 PM