I've been on the web for like 6 hours now.... RRS feed

• Question

• ....and I can't believe all the problems I had with WHS arrrggg.... when it works though, it's awesome...so it's a love/hate relationship.

Anyways... I cannot get Windows Media Center Connector to work... it reports network error after password prompt...everything else is fine.... I tried every trick and searched everywhere...many people are having the same problem as me... this began with PP2... but no one has got an answer...and the onnes that got it to work are not detailing how they did it.

In the forum of we got server and very unspecific MVP lead moderator, said that security may need tweaking, but does not specify how...and that both server and client need to be in the same workgroup, which mine are, and he also said same subnet... <-- I don't know what that is.... help?!?!

Can anyone work throught this with me....

Also, this bug has already been filed on connect... I'm watching it.. but laura keep asking people for cab files...no solutions

I'm running w7 64 bit latest public build

Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:59 AM

Answers

• I can now say that the "bug" is with a version of Windows 7 over the RC version.

I just did a clean install of Vista and it worked first time!

Andrew
    MVP - Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by pied piper Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:03 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:46 PM

All replies

• ....and I can't believe all the problems I had with WHS arrrggg.... when it works though, it's awesome...so it's a love/hate relationship.

Anyways... I cannot get Windows Media Center Connector to work... it reports network error after password prompt...everything else is fine.... I tried every trick and searched everywhere...many people are having the same problem as me... this began with PP2... but no one has got an answer...and the onnes that got it to work are not detailing how they did it.

In the forum of we got server and very unspecific MVP lead moderator, said that security may need tweaking, but does not specify how...and that both server and client need to be in the same workgroup, which mine are, and he also said same subnet... <-- I don't know what that is.... help?!?!

Can anyone work throught this with me....

Also, this bug has already been filed on connect... I'm watching it.. but laura keep asking people for cab files...no solutions

I'm running w7 64 bit latest public build

Did you file a bug report on Connect (or are you just looking at other ones)?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:31 AM
  • I'm watching.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Im having the same problem, and I am having that on multiple different WHS machines and multiple different clients builds. I was told to file a bug which I will do at some point shortly.

Andrew
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:18 PM
  • I'm watching.

Please file your own bug report.  Watching doesn't do you any good because even if it is solved, you won't see it.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:39 PM
  • I can now say that the "bug" is with a version of Windows 7 over the RC version.

I just did a clean install of Vista and it worked first time!

Andrew
    • Marked as answer by pied piper Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:03 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Including build 7232 x64?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Including build 7232 x64?

Its working here with all versions of Windows 7 I have tried (both x86 and x64)
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:16 PM
  • I've only tried it up to 7229 x64. There are so many "leaked" builds out there it is difficult to check.

To be fair on the WHS team, people cannot really complain that unofficial, unsupported leaks builds dont work :-) when it appears that the officially released build 7100 works fine.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:34 PM