Upgrading to new computer, old machine has Windows 7 Pro Retail RRS feed

• Question

• I'm shortly going to be upgrading my ailing Athlon 64 X2 to a shiny new gaming beast custom made. My current machine has Windows 7 Pro I got at Best Buy about 6-8 months ago.

The new machine is entirely new from the ground up, not a bit of the old hardware is going to be in it, but I jut thought now about this: My Windows 7 pro is the retail box, neither OEM or Preinstalled (seems every support document on Microsoft won't mention anythinb but these two), I have on-paper copies of my Product ID and Product Key in case I need it. Now, before I install the *same Windows 7 Pro from the same box* on my new machine (the old machine is going to be formatted and stripped for parts, basically), is there something I can do/need to do on my old machine to tell Microsoft in advance that this product key is no longer in use for the old machine, or will I have to phone them up? Or will I be able to install the W 7 on the new machine and then be able to worry about changing the keys over at that point?

The awkward point is since the new machine is going to be assembled (ordered as parts) I won't be able to make sure the machine is actually functioning properly without *having* an OS on it. So therefore if possible I need to know if I can get the Windows 7 on it when I assemble it...

Thanks in advice for any useful advice, I've looked everywhere for this info but everyone only mentions the OEM or preinstalled versions, and Microsoft only talks about revoking keys due to piracy, not upgrading to a new machine. :P

Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:22 PM

Answers

• Well my take on this, which is not official, as I do not work for Microsoft, is:

You have a retail copy of Windows 7.

This entitles you to install it on one computer at a time.

If you move it to another computer you must remove it from the previous one *before* installing on a new one.

The change in hardware will be noticed but the chances are it will activate just fine.

I have had no issues moving licences between computers.

The worst that will happen is you may need to phone Microsoft to activate and may need to speak to a representative.

If you do, explain what you have done and they will sort it for you.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:14 PM
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Hello Psyra,

Install existing W7Pro full retail on newly assembled computer, but do not activate immediately.

The Software Licensing Terms give you a 30-day grace period to use the OS before you have to activate.  This grace period is there mostly as a way for you to sort out programs and drivers.

When you are ready to activate, just do so normally with the Activation Wizard.  The programming for retail licenses of the MS activation servers assumes a new installation abd activation of an already activated license (as represented by the product key) takes precedence over, supercedes, and invalidates the previous installation and activation.

And if there is an issue, as flakie99 writes, activate by phone.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:17 PM

All replies

• Well my take on this, which is not official, as I do not work for Microsoft, is:

You have a retail copy of Windows 7.

This entitles you to install it on one computer at a time.

If you move it to another computer you must remove it from the previous one *before* installing on a new one.

The change in hardware will be noticed but the chances are it will activate just fine.

I have had no issues moving licences between computers.

The worst that will happen is you may need to phone Microsoft to activate and may need to speak to a representative.

If you do, explain what you have done and they will sort it for you.

Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Hello Psyra,

Install existing W7Pro full retail on newly assembled computer, but do not activate immediately.

The Software Licensing Terms give you a 30-day grace period to use the OS before you have to activate.  This grace period is there mostly as a way for you to sort out programs and drivers.

When you are ready to activate, just do so normally with the Activation Wizard.  The programming for retail licenses of the MS activation servers assumes a new installation abd activation of an already activated license (as represented by the product key) takes precedence over, supercedes, and invalidates the previous installation and activation.

And if there is an issue, as flakie99 writes, activate by phone.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:17 PM