none
HPC Pack 2008R2 SP1 and Start-HpcNode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, got a modest 32 node cluster here and have

i) added ipmi tools to the headnode

ii) ManagementIpAddress using PS to the nodes

iii) edited the ccppower.cmd script

we can now power up nodes using the PS Start-HpcNode command quite happily

However using the Cluster Manager UI the Start node action is still greyed out in the actions panel and is not even listed if I right click on a node as it does on my HPC2008 clusters. 

Have I missed something or has this functionality changed with R2 or the R2 SP1?

TIA

Trevor

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Trevor

thank you for pointing this out - this looks like it could be a regression bug due to the addition of Azure node support in SP1 where the start and stop option is used to start and stop Azure Node Deployments.  I have started an e-mail thread with other members on the HPC team.

Thank you very much - hope it isn't too much trouble only using the Powershell cmdlets.

If you were to use R2 (without support for Azure nodes) then your start and stop buttons should still work for the power operations, but you wouldn't have any Azure capabilities.

Thanks,

Mark 

• Marked as answer by LR90 Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Trevor

thank you for pointing this out - this looks like it could be a regression bug due to the addition of Azure node support in SP1 where the start and stop option is used to start and stop Azure Node Deployments.  I have started an e-mail thread with other members on the HPC team.

Thank you very much - hope it isn't too much trouble only using the Powershell cmdlets.

If you were to use R2 (without support for Azure nodes) then your start and stop buttons should still work for the power operations, but you wouldn't have any Azure capabilities.

Thanks,

Mark 

• Marked as answer by LR90 Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:03 PM
  • The only state currently where the start button works for on-premise nodes is when they are in the unapproved state.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Thanks Mark, PS works for now and at least I can stop trying to work out why the option isn't working for me on the UI.

Option doesn't seem to be available whatever the node state, inc unapproved, if a single node is selected. However using a multi select the option does appear but then doesn't seem to work, perhaps because it is wired to the azure start node.

Not the most frequently used bit of functionality but it was handy so hope it gets reinstated.

Cheers

Trevor

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:35 AM