CRM 4.0 Import to other environments? RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if there is a supported way to use the Import/Export feature in CRM 4.0 to get data into another environment using the MSCRM data update tool.  I have exported some custom entities data from our DEV environment, and am trying to get it into production.  The entity itself already exists in production, but whenever I try to do the import, every record fails with the following error: "The list value is not mapped."

It is also interesting to note that when I create the import job, the data map is set to automatic - it won't let me change it, otherwise I would try to create my own custom mapping.

I am looking into using the Data Migration Manager to do this, but still was looking for some clarity into the error I am receiving.

Any information would be useful.

Thanks,

Rick

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:05 PM

Answers

• Rick,

Have you created a mapping in the Settings area, under Data Management?  That's where you will need to set up the mapping so that you don't just use the "automatic" option.  You don't actually create your mapping in the out of the box Import wizard. 

The Data Migration Manager should work just fine.  It will let you step through setting up the mapping you're looking to do as you step through the wizard. 

As to the error message, my guess is that since you are using automatic mapping it's trying to link up to something but can't find a column to link to.  Either that or it is finding the field to link to but the field happens to be a picklist and there is nothing telling the import which options/values go with the picklist values.

Fronk

Thursday, April 3, 2008 7:33 AM

All replies

• Rick,

Have you created a mapping in the Settings area, under Data Management?  That's where you will need to set up the mapping so that you don't just use the "automatic" option.  You don't actually create your mapping in the out of the box Import wizard. 

The Data Migration Manager should work just fine.  It will let you step through setting up the mapping you're looking to do as you step through the wizard. 

As to the error message, my guess is that since you are using automatic mapping it's trying to link up to something but can't find a column to link to.  Either that or it is finding the field to link to but the field happens to be a picklist and there is nothing telling the import which options/values go with the picklist values.

Fronk

Thursday, April 3, 2008 7:33 AM
  • Thank you Fronk,

I have created a mapping, the problem is it won't let me choose it - it doesn't even give me the option to pick another mapping, as automatic is grayed out.

The problem with the data migration manager is that it can't seem to find any of our CRM servers.  I have tried using the "My Company" path with no credentials requested, and it cannot find them.  I try the Online option, and while it prompts me for the username and password, it still can never find the servers.  I am using the same URL that works in a broswers.

That's what I thought about the picklist values, but those values are identical in both environments.

Any other thoughts?

Rick

Thursday, April 3, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Rick,

I may not have fully understood your first sentence, so please excuse me if I'm responding incorrectly. 

You don't want to edit the "Automatic" data map, you want to create a new one.

Go to Settings --> Data Management --> Data Maps --> Click New

Give the Mapping a Name and choose the entity that you want to import to and click Save.

Click on Attributes and then click on the Load Sample Data button on the lower left part of the screen.  Once you have the data loaded go down your list (by clicking each Column Heading) and then highlight the Attribute to map the column to on the far right of the screen.  Either double click the attribute or highlight and click "Map". 

If you have any Drop Down lists then you will need to fill out the List Values area (far left under Attributes link).  There you can map the values found in the columns of your import CSV file with the options of the picklist.

Save your mapping.

Start a new import and choose the data map that you just created.  Run the import.

That should do it for you.  If it doesn't could you share what columns you are importing and to what entity and attributes?  Which ones are picklists, lookups, text, etc.

Let me know if this works out for you,

Fronk

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Once again, thank you for your reply.

I have created a data mapping.  The problem is when I go to do the import, I cannot choose it.  The Data Map field is set to automatic, and it does not give me the option to pick my custom mapping.

Have you ever run into this situation?

Rick

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Do you have the correct Entity selected in your map?  I created a map and it showed up in the listing because it was of the same entity type.  However, I failed to save my actual mappings so the wizard threw an error on the screen telling me that the mappings of the map didn't match the entity I was trying to map to.  I updated the map, deleted the map from the Data Map field (so it showed Automatic, and the error went away) and then I picked my map again, no error came up and I was set.

I hope that helps a little.

Can you reproduce the problem with another entity?  Or is it just this one?

Fronk

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Well, the other interesting thing is it automatically chooses the record type (entity) automatically, and won't let me change that either.  Just to give you a little background, I am using the MSCRM data update tool to create the .csv file, and I have created a custom view that has every field in the entity table.  I think that's why it is automatically picking up the record type, since it found another entity with identical fields.

In any case, I will try it with another entity and let you know the results.

Thanks very much for your help.

Rick

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Rick,

Did you get this worked out?  One other thing you might try is to not directly export your data from CRM through Excel, but rather do a SQL select and copy and paste your data into Excel.  That should get rid of the forced entity problem (if it is a problem) and might be what you need to get through this.

Hope it's all worked out.

Fronk

Monday, April 7, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Hi Fronk,

Well, I never got it worked out using the export tool, but I just tried your suggestion of doing it directly from the system view, and it worked!  I'm going to look at the .csv files to see where the differences are, but at least I'm now able to do the import.  Thank you very much for your help!

Rick

Monday, April 7, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Hi

You have to be careful with Automatic map specially if the CRM attribute display name has spaces it could map to wrong field since it itendify by the first work of the name

Anu 

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:52 PM