none
Reconnected drive not showing up in storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I had a drive get messed up in my server during normal use. I'm not quite sure what the exact cause of the problem was but it ended up with bad sectors, crc errors, and other nastiness. WHS of course threw a fit and wouldn't even boot. When I went to run Server Reinstallation, the drive was detected as RAW and wouldn't even give me the option. So, I popped the drive out and was able to recover all my data off onto a secondary drive using R-studio. I reformatted the drive since there was nothing physically wrong with it and I wanted to remove it from the pool and copied the data back onto it.

I put the drive back into my server and did the Server Reinstallation option. Everything worked fine except that now in the Console it says that the drive is missing. Disk management console detects the drive and says that it is healthy. How can I get DE to detect the drive? Technically, nothing on it has changed, right?

I want to eventually get rid of this drive and use the other one I backed up to on a seperate controller I got. What can I do so I don't lose all my data?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:04 AM

All replies

•  vypergts wrote:
    I had a drive get messed up in my server during normal use. I'm not quite sure what the exact cause of the problem was but it ended up with bad sectors, crc errors, and other nastiness. WHS of course threw a fit and wouldn't even boot. When I went to run Server Reinstallation, the drive was detected as RAW and wouldn't even give me the option. So, I popped the drive out and was able to recover all my data off onto a secondary drive using R-studio. I reformatted the drive since there was nothing physically wrong with it and I wanted to remove it from the pool and copied the data back onto it.

I put the drive back into my server and did the Server Reinstallation option. Everything worked fine except that now in the Console it says that the drive is missing. Disk management console detects the drive and says that it is healthy. How can I get DE to detect the drive? Technically, nothing on it has changed, right?

I want to eventually get rid of this drive and use the other one I backed up to on a seperate controller I got. What can I do so I don't lose all my data?

Have you tried putting this drive into another system to see if it is readable?

What model and make drive is this?

Are the correct system drivers installed?

What is the setup of your server? Homebrewed system or HP EX47x etc?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Yes, I put the drive onto another system that's how I recovered my data off of it.

It's a Western Digital 500 GB Caviar GP (probably not a good drive to use in a server environment that's why I got a 500 GB Caviar RE2 to replace it with) connected to a Maxtor IDE/SATA 150 controller. The drive is jumpered to peform at 1.5 gb/s per instuctions on WD.com

Latest drivers are installed and working correctly. Like I said above, Disk Management console reports all the drives as present and healthy. It's the WHS console that is being stupid.

Self-built system consisting of abit IT7-MAX 2.0 with Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz and 1.5 GB ram.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:59 PM
  • Here's what I'm talking about. If anybody can explain how to fix this, please let me know!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Ok i think i understand what you have done which is

1. Drive fails - server will not boot
    2. take out drive - copy data off - so now have a backup
    3. reformatted drive
    4. copied data back on to reformated drive
    5. rebuild server - did a reinstall - (was the drive connected at this time?)
    6. put drive back into system
    7. WHS sort of see's disk with data on
    Some questions/observations come to mind
    1. have you checked to see if your backup data is actually readable as files - just to be safe
    2. just copying data back onto the drive while in another pc will not get you anywhere as WHS will not have any idea where this data is - did you do this before you added it back in or not?
    3. when your disk was put in the WHS box did it imediately appear as in the screen shot above or did you try and add it? As adding a new disk will force you to format it so all data gone -so this cannot have happened as in the mamagement console it shows up as having only 13gig free
    4. also the disk is showing as active which none of my data disks show up as, have you done any changes in the disk management? bad idea as this is a way to confuse WHS or break it
    5. how many physical disks do you have 5 right?
    6. did you use the correct drivers for your controller card the disk in question is on - W2K3 rather than XP or similar?
    7. could be that you have jumpered the disk as well to restrict it to sata1 - usually do not need to do this as the disk should account for this its self
    sorry lots of questions but the failure has probably goosed your system and it may be better to start again

Sunday, February 3, 2008 1:30 PM