Problem with recovering backup data from MS Backup Status & Configuration RRS feed

• General discussion

• I hope somebody can help me. I have tried all avenues from Microsoft and ThinkCenter/IBM.
    My hard drive was going bad and I had enough warning for a backup. We were not sure that it was not a virus and ran that check. Ran the hardware check and it was bad.

I backed up the files using MS Backup Status & Config. I was going to have to do a system recovery so I just saved the files. This program doesn't save the programs. I didn't think a system backup was a good idea as I needed to do a system restore from their cd's.

The problem.  I return to the backup program and it has an option to restore files. It will not recognize the file is on my external hard drive (BOOK WD). I have moved it onto the new hard drive. It still doesn't like it.

The file is BRENDA-PC/Backup Set 2009-02-01 011218/Backup Files 2009-02-01 011218/Backup files 1 (and thru 728and they are all .zip files)

There is a second file in BRENDA-PC/Catalogs/GlobalCatalog

When in the program MSBS&C The first screen gives you two options:
    Restore Files (Restore you files from a backup made on this computer)
    Advanced restore (Restore files from a backup made on another computer or restore files for all users on this computer)
    I've tried it both ways. I selected the advanced restore as the Recovery discs may have given it a new ID somewhere in the system.

After you select the Advanced you get a screen with three options:
    Files from the latest backup madeon this computer
    Files from an older backup mad on this computer
    Files from a backup made on a different computer.

I chose #3 thinking it might recognize this as the other computer.  It then searches for a drive, I give it the Book drive (G) and it then begins to search for the backup folder.  I then get a mesage to select the date to restore from.
    Great. It shows the date and time of the backup and that is correct. Tjem it shows backup location and says  Backup location is not available.

In speaking with MS support they say, "No problem". I can get your data back. They will take over my computer and "change the file extension" and all this for $230.00 with a 2 year service contract. Apparently they don't support the MS Backup system and Configuation anymore.

Please, if there is anybody out there that has experienced this problem that could share their wisdom I would love to hear from you. I have been with out my data 24 days.

As a last resort I will succome to thier blackmail.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Bebe

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:36 PM

All replies

•   

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx
    There are newsgroups for Vista and XP, depending on the OS.
    As for support, Lenovo provides support for the operating system as well as the hardware if the OS was preinstalled on the PC. That would include helping you with backup and restore.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:04 PM