Will WHS run from a PCI card connected SATA drive? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having some reinstallation hard drive issues and part of my considered solution involves upgrading to an SATA drive run off a PCI card since the host motherboard runs only IDE.

Will WHS run properly from a PCI card, assuming that the host system will boot from the PCI card? 
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:25 PM

Answers

• pksky said:

I am having some reinstallation hard drive issues and part of my considered solution involves upgrading to an SATA drive run off a PCI card since the host motherboard runs only IDE.

Will WHS run properly from a PCI card, assuming that the host system will boot from the PCI card? 

If you can get it to install on the drive, yes, it will run properly.  The problem is (as you've already found out) if you need to do a Server Reinstallation.  If the primary drive is not in port 0 (which it wouldn't be if you went this route), you won't get that option.  I still suggest you use your 200 GB PATA drive as your primary.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 16, 2009 10:00 PM more info
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 16, 2009 10:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by pksky Monday, February 16, 2009 10:22 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:57 PM

All replies

• pksky said:

I am having some reinstallation hard drive issues and part of my considered solution involves upgrading to an SATA drive run off a PCI card since the host motherboard runs only IDE.

If you can get it to install on the drive, yes, it will run properly.  The problem is (as you've already found out) if you need to do a Server Reinstallation.  If the primary drive is not in port 0 (which it wouldn't be if you went this route), you won't get that option.  I still suggest you use your 200 GB PATA drive as your primary.
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 16, 2009 10:00 PM more info
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 16, 2009 10:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by pksky Monday, February 16, 2009 10:22 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 9:57 PM
  • OK, thanks.  That was easy.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 10:23 PM
  • I don't understand how kariya21's answer to pksky , can be accepted as an answer!
    I makes me remember, the Oraculus universal answer to the roman soldiers before the battle...: IBIS REDIBIS NON PERIBIS
    DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU PUT THE COMMA THE PHRASE MAY BE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE!
    Dear kariya21!
    pksky is asking whether the system will boot from the SATA PCI card or not... and this fact I can assure you from my 36 years of experience (28 on this field) it depends upon the BIOS!!
    Of course "if he can install it on the drive it will run properly", but his question was about booting from it!!..
    and telling him to boot from the old PATA drive is what we call in Spain:
    PEROGRULLADA: VERDADES DE PEROGRULLO (SON VERDADES COMO UN PUÑO)
    Making a BIG sentence of something wich is obvious...
    Sincerely
    Mcapde

Monday, April 13, 2009 9:10 AM
  • I don't understand how kariya21's answer to pksky , can be accepted as an answer!
    I makes me remember, the Oraculus universal answer to the roman soldiers before the battle...: IBIS REDIBIS NON PERIBIS
    DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU PUT THE COMMA THE PHRASE MAY BE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE!
    Dear kariya21!
    pksky is asking whether the system will boot from the SATA PCI card or not... and this fact I can assure you from my 36 years of experience (28 on this field) it depends upon the BIOS!!
    Of course "if he can install it on the drive it will run properly", but his question was about booting from it!!..
    and telling him to boot from the old PATA drive is what we call in Spain:
    PEROGRULLADA: VERDADES DE PEROGRULLO (SON VERDADES COMO UN PUÑO)
    Making a BIG sentence of something wich is obvious...
    Sincerely
    Mcapde

Read the question again.  It said, "Will WHS run properly from a PCI card, assuming that the host system will boot from the PCI card?"  He already took the BIOS issue into account because he is assuming it will boot from it.  Therefore, the answer is unequivocally YES.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:10 AM
  • Agreed.  However it is also in part due to the robustness of your pci card.

I have a IOGEAR pci-e card that i had the primary install drive connected to.  I was unable to get WHS to boot to it and start the install.  When I moved the OS HDD to the 0-SATA connector on the motherboard, obviously, the install went fine.

after I did the install, I manually installed the driver set for the PCI-e card, powered down, and plugged in the OS HDD into the expansion card, and the OS came up fine.

I have seen some cards work and some not.  I would assume there is an approved vendor/hardeare list somewhere for WHS, but I have not seen it.

-Andrew
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:41 PM