How to COMPLETELY uninstall OneCare RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

I'd like to know how to completely uninstall Onecare (whether it is 1.5 - 1.6 - or 2.0beta).

Why do I ask this question ?

I uninstalled version 1.6 (including the cleanup program) in order to go for the version 2.0beta.

Right now I decide to uninstalled this v2.0beta version as well.

When I do a registry scan, I discover (much to my surprice) an awfull lot of "OneCare" lines in the registry.

Hence my question : How can I completely (and I mean absolutely completely)clean-up my system as if OneCare was never installed ?

Please don't make assumptions, only answer if you are really sure how to do it !

Questions to the moderators : maybe you can ask the "Invisible Team" how to do it - just in order to be sure that we do not do anything wrong or stupid ?

- Can they provide us with an "absolute proof tool" to copletely wipe OneCare from our systems and registries please ?

The left-overs in the regsitry might eventually hamper other (competitor) solutions, and I am sure that MS does not want a controversy in the professional press about that.

Thanks on beforehand

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:17 PM

All replies

• I won't be marking this post as an answer as you do indeed raise a very good point. The cleanup tool is effective, but it does leave registry keys behind from OneCare. To my knowledge, there already is one program that has been reported to have a problem with installation after OneCare's removal - with the cleanup tool - and that's Trend Micro's product. There is an entry on the Trend Micro support site on how to remove the key that is detected by their installer. Trend Micro may have resolved the problem on their end, but the fact is that OneCare uninstall and cleanup does not completely remove all traces of OneCare from the machine.

This is not uncommon, though. A look through the registry will reveal hundreds of entries for software no longer on the PC if you've installed/uninstalled programs.

You might want to try a registry cleaner such as ccleaner to detect and remove invalid registry keys and see if it manages to clean up all entries for OneCare. Be sure to make a backup in case ccleaner is too aggressive.

I *would* like to see the uninstall routine improved to where a cleanup tool is only needed if uninstall fails and the cleanup tool and a normal uninstall should remove all files and registry entries related to OneCare.

Thanks for raising this issue.

-steve

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Can somebody ask the "devine Team" for a procedure to uninstall OneCare COMPLETELY from a Vista 32 bits Premium system please.

The Cleanup-tool does not work, as everybody will know by now !

When I uninstall via the normal way (Control Panel/Uninstall...) there are many left-overs for OneCare in the registry.

I really want to clean up may system (which is one of the targets of OneCare) but even OneCare does not allow me to uninstall itself via the normal way. 

I have had 1.5 and 1.6 installed before

And I have now 2.0 beta installed.

I'd like to get rid of ALL traces on my system, INCLUDING THE REGISTRY.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 11:51 AM
  • Asking the same thing multiple times won't get it answered any faster. I answered your previous post and will once again relay to the team that the unisntall routine and cleanup tool need to be improved.

-steve

Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:07 AM
  • Valid request.  Especially with these security programs.  I know Symantec has a cleanup tool to completely remove their software from PCs, and it would be nice to see other companies do the same thing.  You would think it would be SOP to Completely remove software when a program was uninstalled.  Why software makers have such lame uninstall routines has always been a puzzle.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 11:22 AM
  •  UkonCornelias wrote:

Valid request.  Especially with these security programs.  I know Symantec has a cleanup tool to completely remove their software from PCs, and it would be nice to see other companies do the same thing.  You would think it would be SOP to Completely remove software when a program was uninstalled.  Why software makers have such lame uninstall routines has always been a puzzle.

It looks like you've missed something. OneCare has a CleanUp Tool, and both DOES NOT clean the system. I'd to reinstall my system for both of these programs. Symantec left their Automatic Updater Service left at the "Automatic"-setting - pointed to nothing. A bunch of registry keys and directories and a messed up Security Center. Believe me - I've tested lots and lots of times to get rid of this ***. Is that what you call a complete removal?

Software like NOD32, Spyware Terminator, and most other software - is able to clean for real, *without* a "CleanUp Tool". I don't even know why they exist in the first place. If we want the software gone - we want it gone! End of story! Give us some options like saving configuration if you like, but restore our computers to how it should be - with the uninstaller alone!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Attempts to uninstall OneCare beta on my kids' Dell Dimension 3000 leads to the CD and DVD drives being disabled. At first I thought it was hardware because I didn't notice it the same day as uninstall. I did all kinds of stuff like manage hardware to delete, swapped cables, etc. No good. Updating drivers says drivers are current, but reinstall attempt after deleting in hardware manager tells me the registry is corrupt.

Then it dawned on me that OneCare uninstall was coincidental. I ran System Restore and behold! my drives were back, along with OneCare. Multiple attempts to uninstall Onecare results is drive being disabled.

I really don't want to have to start over on this machine, but it's a possibility. Does anyone have suggestions? I did use the Onecare cleanup utility, with the same result.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:38 AM
  • Sorry to read that you ran into this. Fellow MVP, Doug Knox, has a utility to repair missing CD drives in Windows XP following an uninstall of software - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

I too am having a very hard time dealing with OneCare.  Since I installed it last week my pc has gone crazy on my.  It "complains" OneCare is disabled therefore I cannot access the internet, so "please contact the administrator"--myself.  As I try to enable it, it won't respond. 

It disabled all but one of my usb ports--so I had to fetch an old keyboard to be able to write, and have to alternate my pen (where I copied the OneCare removal program) and the mouse in order to try and solve the problem.  I reinstalled Windows XP Professional and all seemed fine--even recognized all other ports again! --but when the system reiniciated  the usb ports were disabled again... I tried removing it through "Add and remove programs" but as you know that isn't enough to take out all the "leftovers".  I tried to restore my old configurations but it kept telling me it was impossible.

Of course I could always format the C partition but that would make me lose a lot of information and applications already installed. 

WHAT CAN I DO to remove this from my pc and get my pc back, safe and sound...?????

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:51 AM
  • Is this what you are encountering?

Red OneCare system tray icon and error:

"OneCare has encountered a problem and might not be protecting this PC"

Check the date and time on your PC. If it is incorrect, the problem you encountered could happen.

If the date and time are accurate, the permissions on the OneCare folder may need to be reset by using the following steps

1. Click Start->Run->Type “CMD(In Vista, type cmd in the search box, but don't hit enter and then right click command.exe and select and “Run as Administrator”)
    2. Type    CACLS "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live" /t /g administrators:f
    3. Type “Y” when prompted.
    4. Restart the machine

Please let us know if this resolves it.

To remove OneCare completely, see this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=663806&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:52 PM
  • No, the message was that OneCare was active and blocking access to internet, that I sould contact the administrator to solve the problem (ie... myself!)

Following the suggestions I read here I finally managed to completely erace OneCare, after deleting all entries in the registry (it took me forever) and got my usb keyboard and mouse to work again.

Right now, however, I still cannot access the internet.  The adsl modem is working properly and so is the router, I can access it with my son's laptop but not with the desktop.  It says the connection is working properly but won't let me access anything.  Could it have to do with firewalls?  Windows firewall is inactive, Norton's is active. 

Any suggestions on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Try turning off the Norton firewall. If you had Norton already installed when you removed OneCare, it may have broken the Norton firewall.

-steve

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Wht don't you just download RegSeeker and delete all the registry entries, that will be the answer to you Reg problem
    Friday, May 1, 2009 1:58 PM
  • I noticed your response about live OneCare uninstall. I have a very old laptop that was working fine until onecare filled up my hard drive entirely. I have been trying to remove it. I went to add/remove software and "removed" it, but it is not removed. my hard drive is still full. I am so frustrated with this I cannot tell you. I have been searching through these answers and the only thing is it seems like there is a tool for removal. I am not that tech savey. I just need to have my computer as it was before I used onecare. I did not know that I was installing it on my computer. PLease help and thanks for whatever guidance you can give me. Is there tech service available? Thanks.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:11 AM
  • OneCare would not have filled up your hard drive, but that's a moot point since your goal is to remove OneCare from the machine.
    To work on clearing space on the hard drive, go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup and use it to remove temporary files and such.
    Then, to uninstall OneCare, since the path via add or remove programs from Control Panel didn't resolve it, download the cleanup tool and save it to your desktop. Then doubleclick the tool to run it to remove OneCare from the PC completely. It will reboot your PC to complete.

Cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:11 PM
  • Did the removal of OneCare and installation of Essentials cause my HP Slimline to crash the harddrive?  I saw the post about the failure of the disc drives and usb ports and wonder if I just gave Fry's my money because I uninstalled onecare?  Also, regarding OneCare taking up all of the hard drive space.  If for some reason the OneCare backup is backing up to the same drive, and you have OneCare backing up .pst files, it will eventually take up your entire drive.  Every time you receive a new email it recopies your entire Outlook folder.  I had OneCare backing up Outlook to an external drive and every other day it was full again.  After two months of arguing with the OneCare team they told ne to remove Outlook from the backup.  Viola, problem solved.  Solution: Sync Outlook with my mobile device for Contacts and either manually backup .pst files to a disc or risk losing emails saved in Outlook.
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:37 AM