After Installation, Inform User of Failed Hardware Installs RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just installed RC1 for the first time, and for the most part, an excellent install and product.  I've been searching for a home server solution for a while now, and had been using a Debian server with samba to create shares.  The WHS install is sooooo much easier.  Thank you WHS team.

Now onto my comment.  I installed the RC1 server and after the install, put the RC connect software on another computer and could not connect.  I spent almost 30 min trying to figure out the problem.  It turned out that WHS did not install my network adapter driver.  However, due to all of the warnings regarding not fiddling with the underlying Windows Server 2003, I did not initially poke through the final setup after install.

I've done enough windows installs to feel comfortable enough to go through device manager and find the problem, but it would have been nice to have had the OS inform me of all the hardware that did not install, or at least any hardware in the device manager with a red X.

The testbed was a:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard (MS-7025)

AMD Athlon 3800+

1 GB RAM

Matrox Millinium G450 video

80 GB system (Western Digital)

2 x 200 GB SATA data drives (Western Digitals)

Once again, after figuring out that minor problem, setup was a snap.

PhreePhly

Saturday, June 23, 2007 1:56 AM

All replies

• I agree. I had the same problem and think that at a minimum the NIC should be checked and a warning message displayed.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 2:36 AM
  • I second this request.   I wasted a couple of hours chasing other possibilities before I discovered two common Ethernet adapters had no drivers.    Luckily XP drivers worked.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 5:00 AM
  • There actually is an error message that is displayed during the phase of setup where you setup the server password, automatic updates, etc. It is on the very last page, and is displayed at the very top of the window. Just gotta look for it Smile
    Monday, June 25, 2007 7:07 AM
  • OK,

Let me re-phrase:

Make the notification of failed hardware more noticable and possibly have user interaction at that point to ensure hardware install before continuing on.  It would seem rather obvious that a home server should have a working NIC.

PhreePhly

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:55 AM
  • It's not only the network card, also drivers for mass storage controllers may become an issue. On my test machine the SCSI driver for the 36 GB disk is installed automatically, but the driver for the FastTrak RAID controller, which has attached 1 GByte RAID 5 SATA array is only available after manually installing the drivers via device manager.

I always thought also, that the informations, for which hardware the drivers are missing, should be more detailed and give at least all the name information, which is hidden in the PnP information of this device instead of the well known "unknown device".

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Thursday, June 28, 2007 6:32 AM