none
Expression Forums Logon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Mods,

Just wondering is there a way to stay logged on to the Expression forums,

I normally log on using my hotmail address, I tick the box to remember my password, but yet when I close my browser and come back to the forums it requests my password again?
    (my live messenger and live mail are constantly logged in and I can log onto other MS sitess automatically so cannot see why I am unable to stay logged into the expression forums)

Any ideas or suggestions - is it cookie related?
    Cheers
    Paul
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:36 PM

Answers

• I don't think this is going to work in your case. When you close your browser, it also closes the cookie session (HTTP cookie session for passport). The persist works I believe for Live clients and not for browsers. Same thing if you use Firefox, passport session expires when you close your browser.
    Forums Test Lead

Thanks Don,

I managed to get my password saved in Live Logon screen

So, when I go to logon to the Forums, it brings me to the Live Logon page and I just click sign in and it signs me in straight away

Seems to be the quickest.

Thanks again,
    Paul
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Yes, the cookie you get from login.live.com is only good for 24 hours.  The password will only be remembered for as long as you keep your browser running.  Earlier requests to get it back to a week like it used to be have been ignored.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:17 AM
  • I don't think this is going to work in your case. When you close your browser, it also closes the cookie session (HTTP cookie session for passport). The persist works I believe for Live clients and not for browsers. Same thing if you use Firefox, passport session expires when you close your browser.
    Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:15 PM

All replies

• Yes, the cookie you get from login.live.com is only good for 24 hours.  The password will only be remembered for as long as you keep your browser running.  Earlier requests to get it back to a week like it used to be have been ignored.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:17 AM

Hans Passant.

Thanks for the reply nobugz, but I am finding that the cookie does not even last 24hours,
    As an example, I could log in, close my browser and then 10-15mins later come back to the expression forums , and have to log back in again,

Thanks again,
    Paul
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:38 AM
    Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:15 PM
    Forums Test Lead

Thanks Don,

I managed to get my password saved in Live Logon screen

So, when I go to logon to the Forums, it brings me to the Live Logon page and I just click sign in and it signs me in straight away

Seems to be the quickest.

Thanks again,
    Paul
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:25 PM