Windows XP SP3 and Powercfg.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I would like to create a power scheme for all my client running windows xp sp 3 . Its call Custom1.Ii was able to do so by running a bat file via login script on XP SP2 . After i upgraded to SP3 because of secruity reasons ,I realise i cannot powercfg /create any more. When i typed powercfg /list my new scheme is there. However , when i restarted my clients PC it's still not appearing in my power GUI in windows xp . why is that so ? I did not encounter this problem on a Windows XP SP2 PC . Any advise to run the same code on SP3. My code is below:

POWERCFG /CREATE Custom1
    POWERCFG /CHANGE Custom1 /monitor-timeout-ac 15
    POWERCFG /CHANGE Custom1 /monitor-timeout-dc 10
    POWERCFG /CHANGE Custom1 /disk-timeout-ac 30
    POWERCFG /CHANGE Custom1 /disk-timeout-dc 10
    POWERCFG /CHANGE Custom1 /standby-timeout-ac 60
    POWERCFG /CHANGE Custom1 /standby-timeout-dc 0
    POWERCFG /CHANGE Custom1 /hibernate-timeout-ac 0
    POWERCFG /CHANGE Custom1 /hibernate-timeout-dc 30
    POWERCFG /SETACTIVE Custom1

• Moved by Kenneth Lee Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:54 AM forum cleanup (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile and Recognition System Discussions)
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:03 PM

All replies

• any one knows how to make this work on Windows XP SP3 ?

• Proposed as answer by LANSALOT Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:54 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:32 PM
  • What is the file version of these files?

Ntkrnlmp.exe
    Ntkrnlpa.exe
    Ntkrpamp.exe
    Ntoskrnl.exe

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:43 PM
  • I was trying to do the same thing.   It looks like the /create switch no longer works in XP SP3, however, I can't find any documentation on the change.   Also,  I'm unable to use the /import switch.    Did you ever find a way to do this with an SP3 PC?   Let me know.  

I'm trying to set one PC to have the same power settings no matter who logs in within the domain.   Its a presentation computer and we don't want it going to sleep during presentations/webinars.   I would appreciate any help. 

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

Finally i get a reply i am not too sure as well. But if i manage to find them whats the correct version to have? Where can i get the newer ones ?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Yes, it not documented . Can someone please help out. A microsoft engineer perhaps.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Since you don't need help in your forum account for the web sites described in the forum's name, your post is off-topic and won't get timely reply here. If you need help in using power management APIs in the future try the developing application for power management forum on MSDN instead.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:55 PM