Conference calls not sending numeric Calling Party ID - Anyone found a workaround for this yet ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, there are a few threads on this buit no solutions to date. I am using Cisco IOS between OCS and different PBX systems (SIP to Cisco Call Manager and QSIG to Nortel). I can't seem to build a translation rule that matches something that is non numberic.

Has anyone worked out a workaround for this. I am thinking that a tcl script on the IOS router could probably detect a non numeric calling party id and at least set it to an arbitary number so someone at least can be charged for the call. I also need a number for source routing purposes so the call at least can be routed out the correct building PBX for the user making the call.

MS have told me that some 3rd party gateways somehow work (Dynamic lookup into AD and re-write the name with the number) around this but I have not seen this and could not justify the extra support overhead of another vendor product anyway.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:33 AM

All replies

• The underlying issue with most of these "Caller ID" problems is that the Mediation server strips any Calling Party Name information from the incoming call as OCS currently is programmed to not trust that information, as it's not secure.  It's the same thing as being able to send an SMTP message to someone with anything you want in the From: field.  But since R2 now supports secured SIP connections with certified gateways/IP-PBX we may see that behavior change in the future as the Mediation Server could be told to trust the source, meaning no need to strip that CPN info.  I think MS would be smart to include that, but who knows if that is on their radar or not for future releases.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:51 PM