none
Is this Dell £99 Server any good? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just found out that Dell have a special offer on a server where for £99 you can buy this:

Components

• Intel® Pentium ® Dual-Core E2160 at 1.8GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB
    • Bronze 1yr Next Business Day Onsite Response
    • 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz Memory (2x512MB single ranked DIMMs)
    • C2 - Motherboard SATA cabled, 2 Hard Drives connected to onboard SATA controller, no RAID
    • 80GB, SATA, 3.5-inch, 7.200 rpm Hard Drive
    • 80GB, SATA, 3.5-inch, 7.200 rpm Hard Drive
    • Accessories
    • 16x DVD ROM -Black
    • No Floppy Disk Drive required
    • Services & Software
    • SC - No Operating System
    • Also Includes
    • English Documentation, UK Power Cord
    • PE SC440 Server Tower Chassis (L6)
    • No Monitor Required
    • No Factory Installed Mouse
    • No Keyboard Required
    • Dell Server Assistant for PowerEdge SC Servers CD Kit
    • Base Warranty
    • PowerEdge Order - United Kingdom

Although I've got my WHS up and running and very happy with setup - a friend of mine is asking if this is any good and worth buying? Need some advice back soon as offer is finishing soon!!

I'm assuming that WHS will be able to run on it as it can run 2003?

Any thoughts - seems good to me although he would need to increase the Hard drive sizes.

Note: I'm no way connected to Dell

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:11 PM

All replies

• I took a look (http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_sc440?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd)

Certainly it will work as all the 2003 drivers should be fine for WHS. The CPU and RAM spec is ideal and the board allows some expanision (4 SATA ports, 3PCI-e, 2PCI) but the case is limited in drive bays (2x3.5int,

1x3.5 FDD, 2x5.25)

The big problem is that 2x80Gb isn't really going to give great performance or storage and upgrading the drive spec on purchase means paying about 3x over the odds.

Best option to buy and pick up a pair on 500gb drives (for another £61 each looking around today).  Then either sell the 80Gb or keep them for other builds.

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:19 PM

• The specs sound very respectable.  I agree that 2 80GB drives won't give you much in the way of storage or performance, you would definitely want to upgrade those hard drives.

Other than that, that's a great price on that machine.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 3:25 PM
  • Cheers Both

Just what I was thinking? Couldn't agree more re: the drives

Cheers

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:57 PM
  • I am running a Dell poweredge 400SC which I paid $300.00 for when it was new. I used it to run Homeserver  beta2 and all releases on after that. I am now running the retail version of Homeserver and have had no major problems with any of the installs or any problems after beta2. It has a 2.4ghz P4 processor with 1.25 gig ram and 2 sata harddrives. If you have the same luck that I have had with my server you will be very satisfied.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:17 AM