CRM 2011 - Merge Account creates Share RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I had a customer ask why merging two Accounts causes a share to be created to the owner of the resulting (master) account.

At first I thought that the share was to ensure that the owners of both records would still have access to the resulting record. But when I checked the share a little closer the share is for the owner of the master record only, and this user is still the owner of the resulting record so there is no point in having a share. The owner of the second record (the record which is deactivated) does not have a share created.

Can anyone explain why this share is created and whether there is a  way of stopping this share from being created?

These are my observations from my tests (just in case they help someone else):

• A share is created for the owner of the master record with all the permissions selected and added to the master record.
    • Any shares that are present on the Accounts before the merge are copied to the master record.
    • If both records have a share for the same user/team then the resulting share on the master record will be the sum of all the permissions of both shares.
    • There are no shares created on the deactivated record.
    • No exiting shares on the deactivated record are changed or deleted.
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:22 PM

Answers

• I would assume this is intended out of box functionality because when you merge the two records might have different owners.

Jamie Miley

Check out RBA Today!

Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:20 PM
  • I can confirm this identical behavior as well. Seems to be an oversight in the design of CRM. Whoever created the merge process simply neglected to remove the shares after the merge is complete. 

The solution is to fire off a workflow as described here, and use it to launch a custom activity, which removes the share on the new owner. As part of this process you need to assign the account/contact to someone else, since you can't remove access from an owner. Then after the shares are removed, assign it back to the original owner.

I am using an automation account for this, but your sysadmin account should work, or whichever one you feel comfortable having extra records on should something fail, and has enough permissions to own all accounts/contacts.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:05 PM

All replies