VLK problems RRS feed

• Question

• ok heres my situation. my computer was full of junk, 20gb of my HD was "lost in space", it could not be accounted for ANYWHERE. i deleted everythign i could off of my computer and still could not find the missing space. so, using the packard bell website, i downloaded a application that i thought would master restore my computer as i threw out the CD that came with my computer, along with the CD key that was on the wallet. so, the packard bell application didnt actually master restore my computer, it just did something to my computer that would initialize it, but i didnt know i still needed the CD i got when i bought my computer. so it was buggered pretty much. so then i took it to a friend who i considered a good IT Tech. he managed to get my computer back up and running, but had to install a new version of MS windows, and because he's an IT Tech, he used an alreayd used version of MS windows, so the VLK on my computer doesnt match the VLK used in installing the MS windows on my computer now. i managed to get 1 of the updates, along with WGA, but  in the end i just got a friend to remove the annoyingness of WGA tool. now i cant get any of the updates, emailing people at MS didnt get me any further, and now my computer randomly restarts, and after looking through forums and the net, just minutes after i read about the "blue screen of death", my computer screen turned blue, then my computer wouldnt restart for 10-15 mins. can anyone help me with this?

thanks, jamie

ok that's my situation, but i seem to have just installed updates i think. i clicked on the update shiled icon, selected all of the available updates. and now the icon has gone, with no "updates could not be installed" message appearing. task manager doesnt have wuaclt.exe in its list...so i think i got the updates...i'll update if it comes back i guess...although, i would still like help with the above situation, should the error's reappear.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 6:15 PM

Answers

• Hello jimjim420,

First off, you are correct, your friend installed Windows XP Pro using a Volume License Key (VLK) that was block by Microsoft.  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VLk editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

To get back to a Genuine version of Windows XP Home, you will need to contact Packard Bell and get a replacement Install/Repair CD and use it to reinstall XP Home using the Product Key found on the sticker on the side of your computer. 

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:04 AM

All replies

• Jimjim420,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, April 16, 2007 7:30 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-4JXWB-HHGPK-82FWB
    Windows Product Key Hash: jeyLQ+6jwNOdco4bAB8Zn1+nnSA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-644-1367121-23040
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 092495f3-d3a3-4715-a321-8da22a4cb4ff
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.17.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>092495f3-d3a3-4715-a321-8da22a4cb4ff</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-82FWB</PKey><PID>55274-644-1367121-23040</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-746137067-2052111302-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Packard Bell NEC</Manufacturer><Model>00000000000000000000000</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>10t</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040909000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>0DB23C8701844043</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17293</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

thats what i get from the MGA diagnosis but when i get the "windows has recovered from a serious error" the data in the error report is as follow..

C:\DOCUME~1\Jamie\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0c8e.dir00\Mini041607-08.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\Jamie\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0c8e.dir00\sysdata.xml

they are the 2 files that seem to be the problem, i have been able to locate them, but i dont know what i should do with them. sending error reports doesnt do anything.

about my computer.

its for Windows XP Home Edition, but doesnt say anything about an OEM, at the top of the sticker it says Windows XP Home Edition, then underneath it says NEC. then its just the product key, a number under and at the side of a barcode, then 6 digits at the far right side, running upwards. it doesnt have the manufacturer's name on the sticker either, this may have been on the CD wallet that i threw away...it's a Packard Bell system if this helps.

thanks

Monday, April 16, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Hello jimjim420,

First off, you are correct, your friend installed Windows XP Pro using a Volume License Key (VLK) that was block by Microsoft.  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VLk editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

To get back to a Genuine version of Windows XP Home, you will need to contact Packard Bell and get a replacement Install/Repair CD and use it to reinstall XP Home using the Product Key found on the sticker on the side of your computer. 

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:04 AM