winssui.exe and corrupt profile RRS feed

• Question

• After a recent update, my personal profile failed load. I accessed safe mode and attempted to launch windows live one care to back up a few files since my last backup dated 12 Aug.

I received the error winssui.exe corrupt and my computer recommended I do chkdsk. It completed this task. That's as far as I got. I can access my administrator and personal profile in safe mode.

I am running Windows XP on a HP Compaq Presario V-6000 on Service Pack 3. I also have HP Deskjet printer and run Active Sync to my Samsung Smartphone. I have limited access to broad band at my rural home so I need to trouble shoot several scenarios. 

Can I recover my system? I have contract work to complete.
    How do I discover what service caused the incompatibility with Once Care?
    My One Care expires next month. 
    My laptop is VISTA compatible, do I just need to hold off before finding an updated solution on this laptop or a new system for Windows 7?

Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:13 PM

Answers

• You may be able to recover from a corrupt user profile. See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555473 

I don't know what caused the user profile to become corrupt but a corrupt user profile will affect many programs and system settings.

If you do upgrade to Windows 7 Microsoft Security Essentials would be a good choice for malware protection and should be available as a free download at about the same time as the Windows 7 release.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:36 AM

All replies

• You may be able to recover from a corrupt user profile. See this Microsoft Knowledge Base article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555473 

I don't know what caused the user profile to become corrupt but a corrupt user profile will affect many programs and system settings.

If you do upgrade to Windows 7 Microsoft Security Essentials would be a good choice for malware protection and should be available as a free download at about the same time as the Windows 7 release.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, August 28, 2009 4:36 AM
  • I'll also add that the OneCare main program will not run under Safe Mode to perform a backup.

You can manually copy files that you need from the profile if you use Safe Mode with networking to copy them to another PC or you can copy them to a USB device.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:04 PM