How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested RRS feed

• Question

• On my desktop, I am running Windows XP Home Edition. My User Name is "Owner" and my Full Name is "Don". When I start up my desktop, Windows Home Server does not recognize me because it reads my name as "Owner" and I've set up WHS to recognize "Don". I wish to use "Don" as my User Name. On my desktop, my files are in the subdirectory "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner".

I read your answer on this topic. In it you stated" You can safely change the user name without causing any problems; the display name will remain associated with it, as will any files or folders that are owned, etc." When I did this, my Windows XP login screen no longer showed me as a "user" and I could not log in under my user name "Don" nor access any of my files in "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner". I used Restore to undo the change and set my User Name back to "Owner".

How can I change my User Name to Don without issues?

Thanks.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:39 PM

All replies

• I've now read another web entry (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283111) that states:

"In Windows XP Home Edition, you cannot change the actual name of a user account, only the name that is displayed on the Welcome screen. In all other versions of Windows XP, you can change the account name:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    2. Click Local Users and Groups to expand it.
    3. Click Users.
    4. Right-click the account that you want to change, and then click Rename.
    5. At a command prompt, run the set command; the %HomePath% variable still points to the old user name.

NOTE: This does not change the name of the folder that appears under the Documents and Settings folder for the user.

This I assume is why I have logon issues when I try to change the User Name.

Comments? Is there a work-around?

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Instead of changing your account name on your client computer, you will have to create a user "Owner" on your server if you want seamless access to your shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:23 PM
  • I had concluded that and did that on WHS just prior to receiving your reply. Thanks
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Very good. BTW, I'm updating that FAQ; I had forgotten about that little 'quirk" of XP Home.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:28 PM