none
Occasionaly a .css file has status 404 Not Found in web test RRS feed

• Question

• This is a frustrating behavior and I don't know what its doing. I have a web test that goes to our main page, located at {{webserver}}/Switcher/Main/MainPage.aspx, which has a dependent request to a login page which then has a dependent request back to the main page. (login page for the test automatically logs in as a "test" user).

The last request back to the main page shows all the dependent requests to image files and WebResource.axd files. Now, the first in this dependent list is {{webserver}}/Switcher/Style.css and its 200 OK. Then further down in the list is {{webserver}}/Style.css with 404 Not Found (notice its is missing the "Switcher" directory).

The odd part is this shows up intermittently. If I click "run again", it sometimes errors out again and other times works. When it works, the reference to {{webserver}}/Style.css doesn't show up in the list.

This is causing me to get a lot of false errors. Any ideas?

Brandon
    • Moved by Figo Fei Friday, October 23, 2009 3:14 AM (From:Visual Studio Web Performance and Load Testing)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Brandon

Despite of the errors Visual Studio web test shows you, do you encounter the problem without the Visual Studio?

By the way, as far as I know, VSTS recorder doesn't save all dependent requests such as .css, did you use some recorder other than the VS built-in recorder?

On the other hand, you could also try Fiddler to verify the issue.
    Fiddler is a Web Debugging Proxy which logs all HTTP(S) traffic between your computer and the Internet.
    For more detail, see:
    http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/
    http://blogs.msdn.com/slumley/pages/enhanced-web-test-support-in-fiddler.aspx

Thanks.

Figo Fei

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Figo,

I do not see the problem without VS. I used the VS recorder.

Maybe I said it incorrectly. In the recorded web test, only the call to {{webserver}}/Switcher/Main/MainPage.aspx is recorded. In the playback, it shows the other requests.

Most of the time, I get this correct expected run:
    - {webserver}}/Switcher/Main/MainPage.aspx
       |- {webserver}}/Switcher/Login.aspx
       |- {webserver}}/Switcher/Main/MainPage.aspx
          |- {{webserver}}/Switcher/Style.css

Sometimes, I get this unexpected error:
    - {webserver}}/Switcher/Main/MainPage.aspx
       |- {webserver}}/Switcher/Login.aspx
       |- {webserver}}/Switcher/Main/MainPage.aspx
          |- {{webserver}}/Switcher/Style.css
    X    |- {{webserver}}/Style.css   404 Not Found

There's no reference in any of the pages to {{webserver}}/Style.css.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Figo,

I installed Fiddler. Cool tool.

So, the first time using Fiddler I access the website, and no 404 errors. A few minutes later, I tried again and this time I did see several references to {{webserver}}/SystemStyle.css. Odd, not sure what's references this invalid path. So it looks to be in the website itself and not a result of using VS.

Brandon
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:40 PM
  • So it looks to be in the website itself and not a result of using VS.
    Hi Brandon

I think so, too. And I'd suggest to debug the website itself further trying to find the cause.
    And for any specific ASP.NET problems, you can consult ASP.NET Forums for better support.

Thanks!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:07 AM