Annoying Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, My onecare firewall is working for few times after running firewall repair tool and then it stops working. Since it is not active, I am not able to run my .NET applications and I have to turn off firewall until I am done testing.

Also these applications version keep changing after every compile, is there any way I can add the folder paths of those apps in the firewall Advanced Settings, so that it can let those executables running without being checked. I believe McAfee and Nortan have these kind of features. Please HELP!!!Sad

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:45 PM

Answers

• For your second question, no. Every time the exe changes, it is a new program to the firewall. Allowing you to specify a folder as being safe would defeat the point of having the firewall monitor. If malicious software were to infect your exe and access the network or Internet, the changed signature would not be caught by the firewall.

If you firewall keeps turning off on its own and requires the use of the repair tool to get it running again, I recommend you contact support to determine the cause of this problem, likely to be a conflicting program or service on your PC.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:56 PM

All replies

• For your second question, no. Every time the exe changes, it is a new program to the firewall. Allowing you to specify a folder as being safe would defeat the point of having the firewall monitor. If malicious software were to infect your exe and access the network or Internet, the changed signature would not be caught by the firewall.

If you firewall keeps turning off on its own and requires the use of the repair tool to get it running again, I recommend you contact support to determine the cause of this problem, likely to be a conflicting program or service on your PC.

-steve

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Thanks Steve.

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:58 PM