D drive RRS feed

• Question

• What is the D drive for ?

It says that the D drive has only 8% remaining but when I open it it contains no folders.

How can I empty or transfer whatever is contained in D drive so that I will have the needed 15% for defrag?

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:02 PM

All replies

• I assume you're asking about the D: drive on your WHS PC? It's used for several things. The exact mix of uses can be difficult to explain, because it's dependent on the other disks in your WHS system. In general though:
    • If you have only your system disk, the D: drive is used for primary file storage. The files in your shares are here, as is the backup database.
    • If you have two disks, then it's used for share duplication, and as a landing zone for files when you copy them to your home server.
    • If you have three disks, it's used only as a landing zone.
    All the above assumes two things: that you have plenty of free space (at least as much as the size of your system disk) in your storage pool, and you have never copied files to D:\Shares\etc. to make them available through your WHS shares.

If you don't have at least as much space free in your storage pool as the size of your system disk (that's approximate; there are other factors at work but it's a good round number and close, at least) then WHS will use the system drive (D: partition) for all types of storage: duplication, backups, and primary storage.

If you have copied to D:\shares\etc, then you may have files "stuck" in a way that Drive Extender can't move them.

There's really no way for you to move files off of D: directly. What you can do, if you have plenty of free space in the storage pool, is turn off duplication. Then wait (a long time, if you have many files) and turn it back on. That will at least get WHS to move the duplicate files (if any) off of D:.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 3:21 AM
  • And also, you shouldn't use the built-in Server 2003 defrag. It is not aware of how WHS files are set up.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 3:46 AM