none
Synctoy files ate up too much disk space RRS feed

• Question

• Using Synctoy I created a file pair to sync the music contained in the c and d drives of my computer.  Obviously I'm not too bright, because the result has been that those drives (each with a 750 GB capacity) are now left with about 30 mb of available space!!  So, my question is how can I 'undo' what I have done?  I tried using the 'delete files' command in synctoy, but that did nothing.  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• Wow, almost 500 views and not a single response.  Can't anyone help me???
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Hi.

How much music was on C: and on D:, before you started?  How much space did each disk have before you started?  What does the SyncToy log file show?

I think maybe people are unable to answer without a bit more background on the issue.  :-)

Andy

Saturday, February 5, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Andy,

Thank you soooooooo much for the reply.

In answer to your question, there were approximately 350 gigs of music on each of drives C and D before I employed Synctoy.  My wrong headed intention was to use Synctoy to make sure that there was no duplication of songs on each of the two drives.  Instead of accomplishing that, I my syncing apparently resulted in adding all of drive C's songs to drive D and vice versa!  I want to be able to delete these added songs from each drive, and start over again, but I'm unable to find the 'files' that Synctoy created to do this. Is there any way to 'back out' of this predicament?  Where should I look on the drives to find the files/folders into which Synctoy  placed those songs???

Thanks again.

Norm

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hi Norm.

Not sure what you can do really.  :(  SyncToy has a logfile but it doesn't go into detail on the exact files it has synced.  I've looked at my systems running SyncToy, and there really doesn't seem to be any way to distinguish files that were (a) there before SyncToy had a go, or (b) put there by SyncToy.  Even all the times (access, create and modify) don't help.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Andy

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Thanks anyway, Andy.  So, if I understand you correctly, the files that SyncToy adds are not placed into a unique folder - they're simply added to the folder in which the 'originals' were located (in this case, the iTunes music folder)?
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:35 PM
  • Hi, I have a similar issue to this, synctoy has created many folders that I'd moved / altered / renamed / whatever, and left duplicate copies.  How  can I see what files have been created since a certain point (across a drive) in time and delete them?

Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:33 PM
  • I'd LOVE to know the answer to that as well, Megalev!
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Gosh, I feel this sudden need to buy shoes...you 'frickin idiot.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:04 PM