Re: VLK no longer in use by Issuer RRS feed

• Question

• I have the same problem - a genuine installation of XP Pro (or at least in all points checks-out to be - hologrammed CD, hologrammed CoA on computer) AND the setupp.ini PID = 5571OEM. Version 2002 w/ SR1 included. It has been in use for some time.

I changed the MB on this (my wife's cousin's) PC several months ago because of HW failure and was obliged to reinstall the system with the original CD and Product Key. There was no indication at that time that the Product Key did not correspond to the product. I set it up for automatic updates. There were no qualms in updates until recently.

About a week or so ago the message saying the system was potentially pirated and not authentifiable magically appeared. I found about this over Christmas and checked it out today. The authentification tool shows this same VLK problem.

The key entered no longer corresponds. Bizarre, no ? Was it a bug then, or is it a bug now ?

The XP product key found in the system ends with - 734BX (the other fields are of course filled with stars (asterix)), and is very different from the Product Key on the CoA.

I am convinced this is a bug in the verifier, because the Product Key checked out at installation on the PC and with Microsoft 6 months ago, and further updates were accepted until very recently.

Microsoft products a very reliable, but glitches in their software have happened before. Another potential source could be a virus, but the system has a top-ranked Anti-virus suite, updated daily.

BTW this system is in France.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 12:41 PM

Answers

• Hello Thomas,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:32 PM

All replies

• Let me take a few steps back on this one.

After posting the above message, I ran the diagnostic ( found in another thread on this forum ) which dumps out the vital information and discovered that the Product Key in the PC effectively is not the one indicated on the CoA sticker on the outside of the PC. How that happens to be I've no idea.

The PC was bought second-hand from a company updating their PCs. The XP Pro CD and the CoA (which both seem authentic ) came with it. Perhaps the chassis (CoA) and HD (installed Product Key) were from different origins.

So the situation I have with the cousin's PC can't be attributed to a bug in the verification suite as I had suggested. There'd have to be the same bug in the diagnostic test too. Just to be sure, I ran the diag on my own PC at home and there, the diag finds the same Prod Key as the one I have pasted on the outside.

Now the question is how to verify whether or not the Product Key on the CoA is a valid XP key or not. The authentification tool seems to say it isn't, but could a new verification be short-cut by the installed Key being different from the one entered during verification ?

I'm also asking mytself if I really had to enter the Product Key when I installed the new MB or if I had had just to put the CD in the drive.

IF my CoA is valid, would a clean install wipe out and replace the older Product Key, or is a reformat on the HD required ?

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 8:52 PM
  • Hello Thomas,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:32 PM
  • Thank you, Steven,

This problem has been solved since.

In fact, when I got the error message and was requested to input the PK on the computer, I made a small error in the input ( I had confused a W with an X - those characters are pretty small and the lighting under the desk isn't that good when I copied it onto a piece of paper.) The resulting message said that the PK I input was not a valid PK - which is logical. Unfortunately, it didn't ask me to verify that I had not made a mistake. It did say it didn't know what that key was for.

I wanted to know if it was a valid key (see above) and so did a bogus installation on a system with a blank HD using the CD and the paper the PK had been copied onto. When that did not work (logical), I rechecked the PK on my paper with the one on the PC and found the error. Changing that character made the test installation move forward (BTW, I have since erased that disk again).

With the corrected PK, I was able to run correctly through the diagnosis and update the information on the PC without having to reinstall the system, so, yes thank heaven, that does work - it avoids a lot of other problems such as the loss of users and the protected access rights to documents and email associated with those users, etc.

Now, when I run the diag, the system is valid and now runs without problems.

I hope posting this will incite others to check the PK they've entered.

Thomas

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:40 AM