Whs 2011 Backup fails on 1 computer, Client Side RRS feed

• Question

• I had WHS 2003 running and backing up my computers but was having hard disk issues so decided to fix hard drives in server and install WHS 2011 on this same server. I am setting up this server on network and my issue is I am unable to back up 1 computer (2 other computers work fine ) and it seems to hang up on the C drive.

If i configure to back up other drives on this computer it completes with no errors. Once I add the C drive back in it fails with error "unknown error prevented backup from completing successfully" It comes up with this error about 1% complete with me being unable to figure out why. I did the chkdsk scan on c: drive and it completed after a few hours (2  1GB drives in Raid 0 for speed) This is a very cryptic message with no help to why it will not run

• Changed type Frankwpjr Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:22 AM Wrong type picked
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please perform a Clean Boot on the client computer by following the following Microsoft KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue persists, please also perform the following troubleshooting steps on the Windows Home Server.

Repair the backup database

=======================

You should repair the backup database only as the last option. When you do this, all the home computer backups are deleted. These backups include any customized backup configurations, such as excluded hard disks or folders. Repair the backup database only after you complete the previous troubleshooting methods. If you have a database inconsistency error, follow these steps to repair the backup database:

1.Log on to the Windows Home Server Console from any home computer.

2.Click Settings, click Backup, and then click Repair in the Backup Cleanup area.

3.After the repair is complete, click Cleanup Now.

4.Restart your home server.

5.Log on to the Windows Home Server Console from any home computer.

6.Click the Computers & Backup tab.

7.Right-click each of your home computers in the list, and then click Configure Backup to reconfigure the backup.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:08 AM