Microsoft Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Microsoft Office 2010 and I discovered that it has no support at this time so that I cannot verify it.  I am wondering if I am properly activated and if I am good to go or if I will have problems with keeping it working long term?  Do I need to do anything else?
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hello Diane Lambert,

It's true that Office 2010 does not participate in the Validation process that has been set up for Office XP, 2003, and 2007.  Whether it ever will is anyone's guess.

If you are concerned about the Validity of the Microsoft Office product that you purchased, we have found that more than anything else, where and from whom you purchased your product is the single most telling factor in whether it is Genuine or not.

There are many legitimate ways to buy Genuine Office 2010, I will try to cover most of them below.

If you went to the Microsoft Store http://store.microsoft.com and purchased a download version of Office 2010 (you entered your credit card number into checkout and were shown your Product Key on the screen and it is available in your online account, and you were taken to a page from which you downloaded the installation files) your product is genuine.  Genuine download versions of Office 2010 are also being sold thru Dell's online store and HP's online store.  As of this writing, any other source for consumers for making a download purchase as described is an unauthorized transaction and is very, very likely to involve counterfeit or mislicensed product.

If you went to a local major general retailer, electronics retailer, office supply or mass merchandiser (for example, WalMart, Best Buy, Costco, Staples, etc) and purchased either the traditional discs in a nice pretty full retail packaged product, or in the new "Product Key Card" format, your product is genuine.

If you purchased a new computer directly from the manufacturer using their online store, and paid the manufacturer extra (for example, about $99-$139 for Home and Student, about $179-$199 for Home and Business, about $299-$350 for Professional) for them to preinstall the product, your product is genuine.

If you purchased a new computer from a major retailer that had a trial of Office preinstalled, and you purchased a Product Key Card at the same store to activate the preinstalled Office product, your product is genuine.

If you purchased a new computer from a local small computer shop, and the computer has a Certificate of Authenticy affixed to it for the exact version and edition of Windows that was preinstalled, and your purchase included a Trial of Office 2010 preinstalled, and you purchased a Product Key Card from this same seller to activate the product  (for example, about $99-$139 for Home and Student, about $179-$199 for Home and Business, about $299-$350 for Professional), then your product is genuine.

If you purchased the full packaged product online from a no-name web site or from an auction site, and "got a really great deal" or got it "for a huge percentage off full retail" then it's very likely you purchased counterfeit or mislicensed product.  In such case, please return the product as soon as possible to the seller for a refund and limit your purchases to trusted online or local retailers.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:40 PM
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 1:50 PM