WHS Console Users Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• I have just joined my second and third clients to WHS. I am confused about the relationship of Users.
    When I joined my first pc I could see the common shared folders, my folders, and all the administration stuff like settings.
    I assumed that the next User that I set up would only have access and see their folders plus the common folders and no access to modify settings.
    My question is who is the owner of the console, I can only log in with my original password on all machines even though I have set each client with Duplicate user and password to their User on WHS.
    This really is a democratic system.
    It seems to me that in a family you might not want everyone modifying the settings but you might want them to work with and see their own folders.

The other thing is whats with this "The console has been closed on this machine because it has just been opened on another machine." or similar words. How can that work?

I realise this is an OEM product but the console is the part that family members are going to use, or have I got that wrong.

Just want to make sure I haven't missed the reasoning behind all this.
    Frank
    Monday, September 17, 2007 9:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Frank

Basically, the console should be used by "the administrator", so in your example maybe you, as the head of the family.

Normal users, say your wife and children would not access the WHS console, they would only access the shared folders.

With that in mind, there is only really a need for one console to be open at a time, because there is only one administrator.

The administator, thats you, needs to set up all the permissions for everyone, which may mean that you have to go in and change them on a semi-regular basis, depending on your needs.

Hope that clears things up? If not, shout :-)

Andrew

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Frank, to phrase Andrew's answer a little differently, the WHS Console is the administrative interface with the server, not the end-user interface. That's why you need to provide the administrator's password when you access the console. From the console, you can add, edit, or remove users and shares, remove computers, install add-ins, configure your remote access web site, etc.

Since it's an administrative interface, your users will usually have no need of it. Backups will happen whether a user has the WHS administrator password or not, for example. None of the things that the Console gives access to are things that the rest of your users will normally need to do. And if you have the remote access site configured, you can access the console remotely as well, which means that nobody else will need any access at all. It would probably be a good idea to designate a "backup admin" (i.e. Mom) for the times when you're just not available at all, perhaps on a plane somewhere. Smile

For end users, media sharing is enabled if the admin enabled it, and they have whatever level of access to the shares the admin designates. That pretty much covers what they will need to be able to do.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

Actully, no more words needd after Andrew's and Ken's well cover words, but thing for sure confusing for new users for WHS, as installing the connector need it with admin right.

WHS owner is the Administrator.

When you first install WHS, WHS only to need the one password for the administrator, that superuser in the WHS OS and the one whom give right for creating accounts, and give right for sharing, and can disable backup for computers in lan or enable it and do many thing as well to WHS Console.

WHS work by the very nice GUI called Console, and only user can login to it is the "Administrator".

That "Administrator" will have the right to install the connector and add any computer sin your lan to the WHS.

Now I been suggesting before, that adding the connector from each client and admin password not need it, if that client only need to be add for backup, hope to see these issue in V2 tho.

My best.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Frank

Basically, the console should be used by "the administrator", so in your example maybe you, as the head of the family.

Normal users, say your wife and children would not access the WHS console, they would only access the shared folders.

With that in mind, there is only really a need for one console to be open at a time, because there is only one administrator.

The administator, thats you, needs to set up all the permissions for everyone, which may mean that you have to go in and change them on a semi-regular basis, depending on your needs.

Hope that clears things up? If not, shout :-)

Andrew

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Sorry, forgot to add that you would also be a "normal" user when it came to shared folders as the "administrator" account doesnt actually have any shared folders as such.

Andrew

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Frank, to phrase Andrew's answer a little differently, the WHS Console is the administrative interface with the server, not the end-user interface. That's why you need to provide the administrator's password when you access the console. From the console, you can add, edit, or remove users and shares, remove computers, install add-ins, configure your remote access web site, etc.

Since it's an administrative interface, your users will usually have no need of it. Backups will happen whether a user has the WHS administrator password or not, for example. None of the things that the Console gives access to are things that the rest of your users will normally need to do. And if you have the remote access site configured, you can access the console remotely as well, which means that nobody else will need any access at all. It would probably be a good idea to designate a "backup admin" (i.e. Mom) for the times when you're just not available at all, perhaps on a plane somewhere. Smile

For end users, media sharing is enabled if the admin enabled it, and they have whatever level of access to the shares the admin designates. That pretty much covers what they will need to be able to do.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

Actully, no more words needd after Andrew's and Ken's well cover words, but thing for sure confusing for new users for WHS, as installing the connector need it with admin right.

WHS owner is the Administrator.

When you first install WHS, WHS only to need the one password for the administrator, that superuser in the WHS OS and the one whom give right for creating accounts, and give right for sharing, and can disable backup for computers in lan or enable it and do many thing as well to WHS Console.

WHS work by the very nice GUI called Console, and only user can login to it is the "Administrator".

That "Administrator" will have the right to install the connector and add any computer sin your lan to the WHS.

Now I been suggesting before, that adding the connector from each client and admin password not need it, if that client only need to be add for backup, hope to see these issue in V2 tho.

My best.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Well it just goes to show that having a predilection for how WHS works is not a good idea.
    I now understand the modus operati of WHS, I think!

1) A WHS has one administrator .  Question -  When I set up WHS  on the server  did I set up this administrator without realising it. I cannot remember the steps it asked for and I don't want to reinstall to find out.

2) A WHS has Users that although they have the same icon and system menu and can load the console cannot access it without the Admin password.

3) WHS Users should only interact with WHS from Windows Explorer and their shared folders.

4) Question - should I as Administrator also have a User or can I happily be an Admin as a User.?

Sorry for being a bit slow but I would like to get it right in my head, not easy.

I now have to explain to my wife that she does not have a nice interface to work in, not easy.

Thanks to all for the answers but I would like to get this Admin WHS / Winxp User thing sorted.
    Pictures are good.

Frank
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:15 AM
  • Yes, you set up an administrator password as part of the OOBE. That's the password you enter to run the console. When/if you use remote desktop to access the server, you'll log in as administrator with that password, as well.

As for users, if a user on a client PC matches a user on WHS (both login name and password have to match) then that user will have seamless access to the WHS shares. If the user's login name doesn't exist on WHS, or the password is different, the first time that user attempts to view a share, they will be prompted for a user name and password. WHS works best when users are synchronised in this fashion among all the PCs in your house, and on the server as well. So the administrator should also have a user set up on the server, because she won't normally be logging in to their own PC as administrator.

As for explaining to the wife, just tell her that the Console is an administrative tool, and she has access to the shares through Windows Explorer. Then double click the "Shared Folders on Server" shortcut on her desktop to show her.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:30 PM
  • Hi frank,

(1) Correct, when you install WHS during the set-up you are asked to type an administrators password. You had to or set-up would not continue

(2) You set up users through the console, you need to add each user account exactly the same as they are on your client computers, same user name and password. The console can be accessed from any client running the connector software, but only with the admin password.

( 3) Yes

(4) You should use your user account from your Client PC to access WHS for day to day tasks the same as any user, admin console is only for changing settings, setting up new users, managing back-ups etc.

There should be in your software folder on the server 2 PDF files, Getting Started and Reviewers Guide,and also a Word doc called Release Notes, that have information and some screenshots to help you.

I just gave up and allowed my wife to have access to the console, wives are worth more than servers, in my opinion. You can set up remote access for any user, the settings are in the console, so she can have access through Internet Explorer from any computer, even if the connector is not installed, from anywhere that has an Internet connection.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:40 PM
  •  dfw wrote:
    I just gave up and allowed my wife to have access to the console, wives are worth more than servers, in my opinion. You can set up remote access for any user, the settings are in the console, so she can have access through Internet Explorer from any computer, even if the connector is not installed, from anywhere that has an Internet connection.
    One small point: when you use the WHS Console through Remote Access, you don't have access to the shares. If you try you will get a message that says (in RC1)

You can not open shared folders from the console when connected via Remote Access. To open shared folders from Remote Access, click the Shared Folders tab on the Remote Access Web site.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:02 PM
  • You are correct, as is normal, Ken. I should of said... she can have access to the shares through IE...The main point is there is really no reason to use the console to access the shared folders, or individual user folders, it is slower and more awkward than just accessing via the desktop short-cut, as is intended by the designers.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:16 PM
  • Believe it or not I had read the documents, I have no icons on my desktop, I have the desktop toolbar on the taskbar and now I see the "Shared folders on server" well I never.
    I hope you all realise that the help given here is not taken for granted and much appreciated, I believe that in Germany there is a custom to thank people with a bunch of flowers, even men, so thanks to all.
    Frank
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:39 PM
  • :-)

Er, thanks for the flowers!

You are welcome for the help, and I am sure the others guys that post feel the same, its nice to give back to the community.

Now, if you need anymore help, why not consider buying my forthcoming book, The Windows Home Server User's Guide :-) Sorry, I promised my publisher I would plug it every now and again!

If you need anymore help, just shout!

all the best

Andrew

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:43 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

:-)

Er, thanks for the flowers!

You are welcome for the help, and I am sure the others guys that post feel the same, its nice to give back to the community.

Now, if you need anymore help, why not consider buying my forthcoming book, The Windows Home Server User's Guide :-) Sorry, I promised my publisher I would plug it every now and again!

If you need anymore help, just shout!

all the best

Andrew

Andrew,
    No problem I hope you like them. I will investigate purchasing your book when it's published, by the way do you like cats by any chance?
    Frank
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:52 PM
  • :-)

well if you do buy it, and it should be out by the end of next month, let me know what you think - I always appreciate honest feedback, unless its bad, in which case lie :-)

I do like cats, but Im not the Andrew Edney who has written hundreds of cat books, although if you have seen any of my books, I always put a picture of my cats someone in the book, kind of like a little in-joke :-)

Andrew

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Well I have just found a bug with Amazon then, I searched for your book, thought what else has he written clicked on your name and was astounded by the number of books you have written including lots of cat books.
    Live and learn.
    Frank is that a cat or a panda?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:08 PM
  • looks like a cat to me :-)

well, I've written 8 books now (including the WHS Book) - I must be mad!

Andrew

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:13 PM