Changing field value in group of contacts at once RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list of 108 contacts that were not imported from an Excel import file because they are duplicates. I want to change the Lead source for those 108 without doing it manually, one at a time. Before responding, it would be helpful for you to know how I got here.

Last fall, I imported a list of contacts from a trade show and set the Lead source to Show-1. I just imported a list from another trade show, Show-2, and 108 contacts were not imported because they were already in my database. They may have attended Show-1 or I may have found them by other means. I exported the error list and now have it in an Excel workbook, with field headings at the top.

What I would like to do is figure out a way to filter for those 108 records and change the Lead source to Show-2 all at once. Is that possible?

In other words, these 108 contacts are already sprinkled throughout my database (many different parent customers) with the value Show-1 (or blank) in the Lead Source field and I want to find those contact records and update Lead source to Show-2 to indicate they attended the latest show. I cannot filter on Lead Source now because I will have contacts with the value Show-1 that I do NOT want to change. The only filter that will work is to filter on the data I have in this exported worksheet.

I guess my first problem is I don't know how to run a filter based on a lookup from the Excel export file I have now.

My second problem is if that can be done, I don't know how to apply a value change to the Lead source field to the whole filtered group.

The list of column headings for the export of the 108 records I have is:

Parent Customer
    Salutation
    First Name
    Middle Name
    Last Name
    Address 1: Street 1
    Address 1: City
    Address 1: State/Province
    Address 1: ZIP/Postal Code
    Business Phone

Lead Source

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 4:38 PM

Answers

• You could export all contacts to Excel using the Export for Reimport feature, then use the Excel VLOOKUP function to match the names of the contacts in your all contacts worksheet with the 108 contacts in your other spreadsheet, then update the Lead Source value in the all contacts worksheet and reimport it.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by john_oberweis Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:13 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your first problem is bigger than second problem.

If you have a list of leads that you want to edit is simple, you can select all of them at once and click on edit to open a bulk edit form. Any operation on this bulk edit form will be made on all the records that you have selected. 

For the first do you have any thing common in those 108 records, because I am unable to see how you will be able to create a view of 108 failed records.

-Devashish
    http://thecrmworld.wordpress.com
    http://ebizartisans.com

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:20 PM
  • No. there is nothing in common I can screen them on. I was hoping there might be a way to filter to an external lookup list in the Excel file.

If not, I'll just do it manually. It's not a disaster, I just thought there might be a shortcut.

Thank you!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:39 PM
  • You could export all contacts to Excel using the Export for Reimport feature, then use the Excel VLOOKUP function to match the names of the contacts in your all contacts worksheet with the 108 contacts in your other spreadsheet, then update the Lead Source value in the all contacts worksheet and reimport it.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by john_oberweis Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:13 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Neil,

Thank you for your suggestion, that sounds like the way to go. I have not figured out how to Export for Reimport yet, but I suspect I can find instructions on that on the web somewhere. I will investigate that.

Thanks very much, this sounds like a very useful thing for me to know how to do!

Cheers,

John

Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:14 PM
  • John, here's a good blog article describing the Export for Reimport feature.

http://blogs.c5insight.com/Home/tabid/40/entryid/73/Edit-CRM-2011-Data-Using-Microsoft-Excel.aspx

Have fun with it :)

Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Thank you, Neil, you're a mensch! :)

John

Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:26 PM