Migrating to a new WHS soon... RRS feed

• Question

• So heres the scenario....

I built a WHS a while back after the eval cause it rocked... I am using a couple HDDs in the storage pool, and doing the occasional manual backup to a seperate HDD used as a backup to the server...

I wan't to do one of two things: build a new more power efficient WHS, or buy something like the HP's that are super nice and small.

My question is when I do so, can I just restore the backup off that server backup drive, or is that specific to that machine?

Any suggestions on the best WHS setup in terms of power consumption please let me know! I have to quams building a new one, but I'd like that convinience of the HDD setup in the HP, and something that sipps as little juice as possible... I dont like to turn mine off...
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:08 AM

Answers

• PittaOnzJ00 said:

So heres the scenario....

I built a WHS a while back after the eval cause it rocked... I am using a couple HDDs in the storage pool, and doing the occasional manual backup to a seperate HDD used as a backup to the server...

I wan't to do one of two things: build a new more power efficient WHS, or buy something like the HP's that are super nice and small.

My question is when I do so, can I just restore the backup off that server backup drive, or is that specific to that machine?

You can restore the backup of that server to another one.

PittaOnzJ00 said:

Any suggestions on the best WHS setup in terms of power consumption please let me know! I have to quams building a new one, but I'd like that convinience of the HDD setup in the HP, and something that sipps as little juice as possible... I dont like to turn mine off...

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by [Pitta] Monday, March 30, 2009 1:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by [Pitta] Monday, May 4, 2009 6:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:27 AM
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:54 PM

All replies

• PittaOnzJ00 said:

So heres the scenario....

You can restore the backup of that server to another one.

PittaOnzJ00 said:

LIVE & Zune - PittaMan

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by [Pitta] Monday, March 30, 2009 1:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by [Pitta] Monday, May 4, 2009 6:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:27 AM
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Can I just pop in the HDD that had the backup form the old WHS, or do I need to 'restore' the new WHS to get the data into it?
    LIVE & Zune - PittaMan
    Monday, May 4, 2009 6:05 PM