WHS 2011 - Just installed - first questions... RRS feed

• Question

• 1) Remote Desktop - I have installed 1 PC so far to WHS. It's on a Dell XPS running Windows 7 Home Premium. When I go to remote desktop to this from the homeserver web access - it says that the OS is not supported. I'm guessing that this is because it's Home Premium and not Professional? But - this is windows HOME server - surely most people will be running HOME versions of Windows???

2) My Router - DLink 2740B - UPnP enabled. Windows Home Server says not. Remote Working / Router not working according to the Control Panel, but it does work?!

3) My Home Server application for my WP7 - this does not work - any ideas? Can't find the server (possibly to do with the above, but it does work through IE9 on my laptop so the connection MUST be there)

So overall so far, very undecided about this.... I'm not going out now to upgrade my versions of home premium windows or upgrading my router!

Any ideas on the above??

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:44 PM

Answers

• see if we can solve where I am going wrong here :)

ROuter DLink 2740B. DHCP 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.99

Server 192.168.0.100

Ports open: 80, 443, 4125

Still says UPNP issue - I still cannot connect via "My Home Server" app

I can connect via ********.homeserver.com

It may be OK, but where do I find the connector for the server?

EDIT found it,, lets see what happens...

Sucess :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, August 1, 2011 3:18 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 12:42 PM

All replies

• Regarding your question on Remote Desktop - it is as you suspected, this function is not supported in Windows 7 Home Premium. You're absolutely right that one would expect a Windows HOME server product to support Windows 7 HOME Premium, but no, according to the fine print on this page, Microsoft see it otherwise (and have always done so, right from the days of WHS v1)

• Edited by Geoffc1 Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:23 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Well that pretty much rules me out of using this then! All 4 PCs use Home Premium products. :(

Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Remote Desktop is only a very small part of what WHS2011 can do for you - presumably it was not a problem for you before WHS?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Its not the end of the world I guess, but a VERY useful feature I was looking forward to. Everything I wanted in one online place. Now I'll have to switch between logmein and the WHS stuff - would have been nice to do it all from the same place.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Its not the end of the world I guess, but a VERY useful feature I was looking forward to. Everything I wanted in one online place. Now I'll have to switch between logmein and the WHS stuff - would have been nice to do it all from the same place.

This is a limitation of Windows Home Premium, not of Windows Home Server, but I agree its disappointing not to be able to use it.  This feature is one of the reasons why I always buy the Professional or Ultimate SKUs of Windows for my client PCs.

If you really must have remote access to one or more of your PCs, then you can use Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from Windows Home Premium to Professional.  It's easy to do, more or less like installing a service pack.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:53 PM
  • anyone help on points 2 & 3??
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:56 PM
  • For point 2, you don't give much informaiton to go on, but probably your router has incomplete support for UPnP, so Windows Home Server is able to configure it, but it doesn't get a report of success.

For point 3, it's possible that your ISP is blocking port 80, which the WP7 app uses for some functionality. I don't have a WP7 phone, so I can't tell you for sure. Assuming this to be the cause, this port can't be changed, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:29 PM
  • For Point 2  - Had the same issue with my D-Link DIR-825.  BUt honestly, it came down to why should I rely on UPnP.  I manually reserved my servers IP address and configured port 80 and 443 wihin the virtual server.  Problem solved. 
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:53 AM
  • For Point 2: It's easy enough to configure the router manually.  Use a static IP address for your server, or reserve an address in your router's DHCP config.   Then see this link for details:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/windows-home-server-router-setup.aspx

G

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:42 AM
  •  

I also just recently setup WHS 2011

Point 2 - As others have mentioned, setup the router manualy. Assign a static IP to your HomeServer which is not in the DHCP pool in your router. Create port forwarding rules in your router to forward port 80 and 443 to the static ip of your Home Server. Then make sure you run the remote access setup on the home server which will create the domain name and website for you. Once created, run nslookup or ping to make sure the domain name is pointing to the public IP address of your router.

Point 3 - Yes, you need to get the remote access working before you could use the WP7 app. You will also have to install the connector for WP7 on the server. Once this is all done, you simply setup your account on the phone. This account is the remote access website you created previously.

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:35 PM
  • see if we can solve where I am going wrong here :)

ROuter DLink 2740B. DHCP 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.99

Server 192.168.0.100

Ports open: 80, 443, 4125

Still says UPNP issue - I still cannot connect via "My Home Server" app

I can connect via ********.homeserver.com

It may be OK, but where do I find the connector for the server?

EDIT found it,, lets see what happens...

Sucess :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, August 1, 2011 3:18 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 12:42 PM