Using an Image to move systemdrive. RRS feed

• Question

• Is the following possible?

Make an diskimage of the physical disk where the c: partition resides on and restore this image to a new identical disk (same brand,model and size). remove the "old" disk and put the new one is the same slot and sata port as the old one. Boot and voila. systemdrive is replaced.

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is possible and may work if you size and offset of the partitions on the new disk are correct, however only if you do NOT use the machine after making the image. IMO this will be pretty senseless for most practical purposes.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 11:25 AM
  • See this blog post .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 10, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Nice blog. Thx for the tip
    Monday, May 10, 2010 2:49 PM
  • As that blog post notes, you can't use a cloned drive as a way to back up the system drive. You can use it to move to a new drive when the old one is unhealthy but functional.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:41 AM
  • that's precisely what I want to do. See my post on the 1TB+ bad sectors on my sytem drive.....
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Would an older tape drive, like a "HP DAT-40 One Touch" backup and restore the WHS "C" system drive and include the drive ID?  I cannot recall reading about tape drives in this forum.  I have a closet with lots of older technology I used on SBS NT4 and 2000.  Then all that is left is to find a way to force WHS to not use remainder of the 1st drive for drive D. 

I have older 20GB SCSI drives for a hardware Raid-1 setup on the Supermicro X5DA8 system board, would reinstalling with drivers for SCSI and SATA controllers result in the WHS C drive on the 20GB drive and then use the 1.5TB Seagate sata drives for the D drive?  Or, is WHS installed on the drive with the 80GB needed by the installation process?

O O, I think I remember that the F6 key to load drivers, when installing, only let me install one controller driver, is that right?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Succesfully moved my systemdrive to a new and smaller one! The method used in the blog worked perfectly.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:22 PM