Home Server Connector RRS feed

• Question

• I recently removed the My Movies plugin from my WHS installation and haven't been able to install the connector software on any clients since then.  After a bit of investigating i realized that the My Movies uninstall removed IIS from my WHS. Could this be the cause for the failed connector installs? I've searched and read all of the connecter install issue threads but not of their recomendations work for me. During the install i get "The operation cannot be completed at this time" when searching for my WHS. This happens on Windows XP, Vista and 7 clients, both 32 and 64 bit installs.

Is there anyway to manually reconfigure IIS on my WHS box?
    Where are the logs for the connector software install located?
    If i have to do a recovery of my WHS install will i loose my data?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:47 AM

Answers

• Problem Solved!

I built a 2nd WHS and copied over all the files in the inetpub folder. I also exported the websites and the certificate and imported everything into my existing WHS. After making sure all the settings matched, everything works except for accessing my WHS remotely (which i never use anyway). I was able to join my windows 7 hosts without issue.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:32 PM

All replies

• IIS is a core component of Windows Home Server. And you are right, if some application or user messed up with it, you will be unable to succeed installing the Connector.
    Can you see related messages in the servers event log?
    Is it truly removed? What happens, if you add it again in Add or Remove Programs/Add Windows Components in Control Panel on the Server?
    If this does not work, there is unfortunately no documented setting sheet for the IIS configuration.
    It might work to uninstall Power Pack 2 and all subsequent updates via server desktop and reinstall them after, but often a server reinstall is the only known way to get the functionality back.
    If you can really pinpoint the behavior to that Add-In, you should also inform the autor.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:24 AM
  • If IIS has truly been removed, or the configuration significantly changed/mangled, then you will need to perform a server reinstallation. You will normally lose no data as a result, though you will need to recreate users (who will be reconnected to their user shares), and re-join home computers (you can do so by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe on each client if you first update your server to the same patch level it was at previously). You will also lose any customizations performed outside the Windows Home Server console, and will need to reinstall (and possibly reconfigure) any add-ins.

Depending on your hardware, you could find a server reinstallation more challenging. If you have installed drivers for storage controllers, you'll need to provide them during setup so that Windows Home Server will see all your drives. If you need drivers for Windows Home Server to see your system drive, you will need to supply your drivers twice. This is the same procedure you will have gone through to install initially. If you have an HP MediaSmart Server, your recovery process should be much smoother, and will run over your network. In that case you should consult the documentation you received with your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:50 PM
  • Thanks for all the responses. Is there no way to simply reconfigure IIS? I am about to try something.....I will install WHS inside a VM and configur it exactly as my real WHS. Then i will copy over all the IIS settings. I will let you guys know how this goes. I really do not want to do a re-install, the last time i attempted it i lost all my data!
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Problem Solved!

I built a 2nd WHS and copied over all the files in the inetpub folder. I also exported the websites and the certificate and imported everything into my existing WHS. After making sure all the settings matched, everything works except for accessing my WHS remotely (which i never use anyway). I was able to join my windows 7 hosts without issue.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:32 PM