none
Checkpoint encrypted USB drive with un-encrypted Vista home drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have been forced to encrypt the files on my USB drive for transferring files to/from work. When I try to sync with my home laptop which doesn't have checkpoint encryption I get the error message:

SYNC: 02/20/2009 22:20:31:114: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYNC: 02/20/2009 22:20:31:114: Starting SyncToy, version 2.0.100.0, built 12/08/2008 15:07:12.
    SYNC: 02/20/2009 22:20:42:284: *** Failed to execute folder pair SFWP. Could not locate folder F:\SmallFldDosim\SFWP_Report\.

Do I need to encrypt the local folder and if I do do I need to encrypt it with the same package as is used at work?

Or can I associate a password with the drive specified in SyncToy 2.0

The first sync at work after encrypting the drive worked ok but then Checkpoint is running on that PC.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    John
    Friday, February 20, 2009 11:10 PM

Answers

• Your encryption program may have caused the folder to become invisible to other programs.

SyncToy must be able to access both endpoints within the folder pair to be synchronized. I would

recommend that you discuss this issue with your IT tech support first.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:28 PM

All replies

• Your encryption program may have caused the folder to become invisible to other programs.

SyncToy must be able to access both endpoints within the folder pair to be synchronized. I would

recommend that you discuss this issue with your IT tech support first.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Thanks.

I was hoping someone might be able to say that the new version of SyncToy has a facility for associating the password needed to sync with locked drives. Or at least that it is included in V2.0.1, due for release this coming weekend.

Or is that a forlorn hope?
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:54 PM
  • Hi -

Currently we do not have plans to do this support with passwords.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Shame.

Much as I like SyncToy I can no longer use it for transferring files to/from work.

Any suggestions? Are there other free packages out there as good as SyncToy but with the added feature of handling password encrypted drives?
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Hi, I've revisited SyncToy as I discovered there was an update. I've now got V1.2.100.0 but it still does not handle encrypted USB drives.

Does any developer know if there are still no plans to update SyncToy to handle encrypted USB drives?
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Hi -

The latest SyncToy version is 2.0 - we are planning on releasing 2.1 by the end of the year. We still do not have support for encrypted drives so it looks like you cannot use it :(

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:46 PM