none
Cannot log into a growing number of web sites

Question

• (If this is the wrong place for this post, I'm sorry. It's the only place I could get to.)

I Cannot log into a growing number of web sites. It started in early May. Gradually, the number of web sites has grown. Now the list is:

• avsforum.com
    • ebay.com
    • cnet.com
    • amazon.com
    • imdb.com
    • sourceforge.net
    • answers.microsoft.com

Symptoms:

1. I successfully log in on a log-in page (example: 'login.live.com')
    2. But when taken to the "main" part of the site (example: 'answers.microsoft.com'), I'm not logged in.
    3. If I click "Log In" there, nothing happens (or on some sites, a blank popup appears and disappears, or on some sites, the page is refreshed but otherwise unchanged).
    4. If I make it to a page that shows I'm logged in (example: 'support.microsoft.com') and click "Sign out", I cannot sign out.
    5. On some sites, If I try to register (as a troubleshooting aid), I'm told I'm already logged in, but when I then go to the "main" part of the site (example: 'answers.microsoft.com'), I'm not logged in.

In other words, I'm logged into some parts of the sites, but not other parts. Often, I can't report the problem to the site because the site requires me to be logged in to report problems.

This is happening in every computing environment I have:

• Various browsers running in a Windows 7 Host, and
    • Various browsers running in a Linux Mint 17.1 (VirtualBox) Guest.

This immediately sounds like a cookie problem, but I allow all cookies, including 3rd-party cookies.

I've noticed that my browser history is severely affected as though it's being rewritten so that the browser's back button skips wildly through history skipping many previous pages.

Please help if you can.

Regards,

Mark.

Monday, July 27, 2015 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I hate to say it, but the best plase to ask is in the Internet Explorer forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion':

If you continue to have problems, I'd look at resetting IE:

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Hello,

I hate to say it, but the best plase to ask is in the Internet Explorer forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion':

If you continue to have problems, I'd look at resetting IE:

Karl

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 5:02 PM