none
Vista 64 freeze at 20 to 25% during backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am running the HP EX490 Windows Home Server with the latest updates.  It backs up my XP machine with no problem.  But the Vista 64 ultimate machine it freezes up at between 20 and 25% complete.  I am only trying to backup the C: (System) drive and have run a check disk on it and all is well.  Initially I could log into the console from the Vista Machine but even that quit working.  I have had the sever for about two weeks now and am to the point where I can't figure out what the problem is.  Looks like others have had this problem but I am not seeing a solution, or am I just missing the solution.  Any hints, pointers, and help is appreciated.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:05 AM

Answers

• The problem was caused by Bitdefender blocking the ports that the home server needed to communicate with the PCs on the network.
    Installed COMODO internet software and then reinstalled the client software and was able to open the ports for the required applications never could figure out how to do it in Bitdefender but was very easy to do with the COMODO software.  
    • Marked as answer by jbcool Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:26 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:26 PM

All replies

• i met the same issue
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:42 AM
  • Please check the event log of the client and the server, if there are related errors or warnings logged.
    What kind of network connection do you have between client and server (speed, wired or wireless)?

Freezing system often points to issues with drivers or hardware, especially related to mass storage or network. Are the drivers on the client and the server up to date? Does the free memory on the client reduce or stays stable? (Check task manager on the Performance tab, while running a backup.)

Can you copy a really big file (like a DVD image) to the share of your server or does the machine crash also during this process?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Unmarked as answer by jbcool Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:26 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:50 AM
  • The problem was caused by Bitdefender blocking the ports that the home server needed to communicate with the PCs on the network.
    Installed COMODO internet software and then reinstalled the client software and was able to open the ports for the required applications never could figure out how to do it in Bitdefender but was very easy to do with the COMODO software.  
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:26 PM