Network Utilization? RRS feed

• Question

• Just wanted to see if an average of 50% utilization on a Gbps network is normal for WHS. Cat6 cables, gigabit router, onboard gigabit on both cleint and WHS. Highest peak utilization has been around 65%.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:33 AM

Answers

• Just wanted to see if an average of 50% utilization on a Gbps network is normal for WHS. Cat6 cables, gigabit router, onboard gigabit on both cleint and WHS. Highest peak utilization has been around 65%.

I would say that's normal.  I only have 100Mb connection and I usually run around 8 MB/sec (64%).  You'll never get 100%....
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:34 AM

All replies

I would say that's normal.  I only have 100Mb connection and I usually run around 8 MB/sec (64%).  You'll never get 100%....
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:34 AM
  • I would say that is about normal.   What I see a lot on mine is that it kicks in to 40-50%, runs for a minute or 2 and then kicks down to 10% for 10-15 seconds then goes back up.  Seems like something kicks in on the WHS and slows it down for a while.   

Much slower then when I transfer to the Linux boxes but much much much better than when WHS was first released and the transfers were very slow.  I am typically transferring 10-15 gig at a time to the WHS and just have learned to be more patient.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:24 PM