Pro SP2 mistake... RRS feed

• Question

• Boy I'm hoping someone can help me with this little problem I've gotten myself involved in. I'll appreciate any feedback at all!

I own an IBM notebook which came preinstalled with XP Pro, before any service packs were out. On the bottom is a legitimate product key (OEM?). I wanted a fresh install, but couldn't find my original recovery disks. So, aware that there is a "change product key" feature in the Windows activation process (under "activate via telephone), I assumed i could install ANYONE'S copy of XP Pro, change the key to my VALID key using the activation via telephone feature, and continue activating normally.

The problem is that I couldn't find anyone with any kind of XP Pro disc. Found lots of Home edition users (but assumed my product key wouldn't work with theirs). Finally decided to download an ISO from online, installed it, and proceeded to change the product key from the presumably illegal one to my legal one. The change product key screen tells me that MY key is invalid!

My initial presumption is that this is because the ISO I downloaded is XP Pro SP2. Am I right or am I completely off my rocker? This is getting terribly frustrating - I'm just trying to activate my completely paid for XP Pro.

Any suggestions or am I just clueless? :)

Thanks!

• Edited by Drokkon Thursday, July 1, 2010 10:31 PM
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Drokkon:

We've made a tool for users specifically in your situation :).

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=420092&SiteID=25

-phil liu

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:01 PM
  •  Drokkon wrote:
    I own an IBM notebook which came preinstalled with XP Pro, before any service packs were out. On the bottom is a legitimate product key (OEM?). I wanted a fresh install, but couldn't find my original recovery disks. So ...  Finally decided to download an ISO from online, installed it, and proceeded to change the product key from the presumably illegal one to my legal one. The change product key screen tells me that MY key is invalid!

My initial presumption is that this is because the ISO I downloaded is XP Pro SP2.

No.  The Product Key on your Thinkpad is for the OEM edition of XP (it doesn't matter what service pack).  It is possible that the pirate version you downloaded is not an OEM edition, so an OEM key will not work with it.  In this case, the Product Key Changer utility posted above should cope with converting the type of installed XP to match your Product Key.  On the other hand, if the one you downloaded contained "cracked" files intended to avoid activation, then it might not be repairable with the utility.  The problem with downloaded versions of operating systems is that you really don't know what you are getting.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:14 PM
  • Thanks so much to both of you. I realize that getting an ISO from online wasn't the best option - but it's all I had left! I'll give the tool a shot as well.

I've run into another slight bump on another computer. I routinely reinstall Windows due to my usage habits, and I've installed a Home Edition of XP well over a dozen times. I bought it the day it came out, and installed it several times on one computer. In January I built a new computer, removed XP from the old one, and activated it by phone. I reinstalled it a few months later and went through the same process. Today I reinstalled it yet again, just finished activating it over the telephone (which it seems I'll always have to do now) and began the windows update process. When the website installed the WGA software and asked if I wanted help validating, I clicked yes. The website then displayed: "

Validation Incomplete: Unable to Perform Validation

[0x80080299]

Why didn’t my machine complete validation?

You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue.

" I've restarted but I can't seem to fix the problem. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!!

Teddy

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:42 AM
  • Before I waste anyone's time, I fixed the problem by poking around a few other threads.  I followed this advice from Carey:

To recover from this error, please download and install:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/windowsxp-kb905474-enu-x86_4bafa8793e8cdcaf4ba4ffc494df32d496154544.exe

Then re-boot Windows. Does this solve your problem?

Which, presumably, manually reinstalls the WGA software. Thanks!

Teddy

Thursday, June 15, 2006 7:56 AM
  • Drokkon:

I'm glad it was resolved! Reinstalling the download manually over-writes mis-written files during an install that may have hung/gotten errors. :)

-phil liu

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:51 PM
  • Well, I finally got around to trying your suggestions - and so far its a no go! I downloaded and ran the keychanger, and changed my key, but after restarting, it warned me that it was unable to activate automatically. No problem, I will just click the "activate windows" entry in the start menu and activate manually. The first thing that popped up is an "incorrect key" screen, prompting me to either re-enter the key, contact customer service, or buy additional licenses. So I entered the key yet again, it "checked for connectivity," then returned me to the same "incorrect key" screen.

Here's a recap: I have an IBM laptop that came with XP Pro (pre SP1) preinstalled (a genuine product key is on a sticker on the bottom!). I lost my reinstall disks, but wanted to format. I located an XP Pro SP2 ISO online, which doesn't seem "cracked" or anything, assuming I could change my key to the legit one. So far I haven't been able to. Any other suggestions?!? Thanks so much!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:24 AM