SyncToy RRS feed

• Question

• This was a great tool... right up until 2.0  NOW, for some reason, you thought it was a good idea to change the 'contribute' option.  This makes the tool utterly useless to me, and I'm moving to allway sync -- as it too is free, and it works.

HEre are the options as listed:
    • Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.
    This would be great .... if I didn't have to keep the deleted files
    • Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.
    This is useless.  Only from left to right???
    • Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.
    This would be useful, and just like the way the tool used to operate.... but it's useless now, as it only copies from left to right. 

What were you thinking?  Only syncing from LEFT to RIGHT?  This is no longer useful.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:44 AM

Answers

• Hi Ckrobinson,

Unfortunately, the partial two-way sync that you want (which only syncs add/modify action, but leaving deleted files alone) is not support in SyncToy 2.0/2.1. But we heard your voice and I will add it into the "Wish List" for future release.

Thanks,
    Nina
    • Marked as answer by Nina H Monday, November 30, 2009 10:53 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:23 AM

All replies

• I don't quite understand what you mean when you say Synchronize would be great if you didn't have to keep the deleted files?

And if Echo didn't only copy one way (ie: left to right) then surely it would be the same as Synchronize! And btw Allway Sync has the same option http://allwaysync.com/features.html "A good way to backup and restore files if you run Allway Sync in one-way mode." !!!

Plus you can easily configure Echo to work from left to right AND right to left simply by setting up the same folder pair the both ways round!

And I find Contribute (sync from left to right only with no deletions) handy when you want to set up a completely new folder on a drive from scratch.

Yes, sure there are some slight anomalies in the way SyncToy performs sometimes. SyncToy might not be as sophisticated as some Synchronizers - but it is MUCH easier to use by far than some, which present you with hundreds of decisions to make before they will perform what you thought would be a simple sync action!

HP Pavillion a6632uk, AMD Phenom(tm) 8550 Triple-Core Processor, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium
    Friday, November 13, 2009 9:49 AM
  • The previous version of synctoy, the one which ran on XP, worked fantastic.  The option that I needed is the one where changed files are copied both ways, but deleted files are left alone. 

The new version of synctoy doesn't work this way.  Deleted files in one directory, are deleted in the other, but I need those files left alone.  And yes, I could set up two folders syncs for each folder pair, but that seems kinda ridiculous. 

Allway sync is fine, but far more than what I need.  Plus, for some odd reason on Windows 7 it has issues with OpenOffice and yWriter files, both of which I need.

I'm not saying that the current options need to go away, just that I can't use what they've done.

If anyone has any idea of a good, simple sych program, please let me know.
    • Marked as answer by Nina H Monday, November 30, 2009 3:03 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Nina H Monday, November 30, 2009 3:03 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Hi Ckrobinson,

Unfortunately, the partial two-way sync that you want (which only syncs add/modify action, but leaving deleted files alone) is not support in SyncToy 2.0/2.1. But we heard your voice and I will add it into the "Wish List" for future release.

Thanks,
    Nina
    • Marked as answer by Nina H Monday, November 30, 2009 10:53 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:23 AM