Unable to connect to WHS, health indicator light on MediaSmart solid red RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MediaSmart server with 2 drives installed and my music, video, and photo folders setup to keep a 2nd copy of these shares.

Just recently WHS fell off the network.  The red system health indicator turns a solid red after a couple of minutes following a reboot.  The lights for both drives are solid blue.

I cannot connect to the WHS through the connector or remote desktop from any machine on the network.  I can ping it though.

From what I've read, I most likely need to follow the steps to perform a system recovery, but I'm nervous about losing my files in the process after reading a few horror stories.

Should I (can I?) manually back-up my files to another storage device before doing the recovery?

Any other advice?

I would tell you what version of WHS I'm running if I had a way to connect to it.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 5:13 PM

All replies

• Assuming you didn't install Windows Home Server 2011 on it (unsupported and not recommended) you're running version 1.

The solid red health light indicates an operating system failure; there's not a lot of useful information beyond that available however. I recommend you start by reading this FAQ, and this one as well if you're concerned about the data on your server. Then proceed with server recovery as per the instructions in the user's guide you received when you bought your server. (If you no longer have the printed guide, it's available on HP's site as a PDF.) The process you will want to follow is the server recovery process, not the factory reset process (which will wipe all the drives in your server).

Note: you should not disconnect any disks in an attempt to protect your data; if you do so you will be unable to reintegrate them into server storage with data intact later.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the reply!  I appreciate the advice, it's very helpful.  If you don't mind, I'd like to clarify one point.  You said:

"Note: you should not disconnect any disks in an attempt to protect your data; if you do so you will be unable to reintegrate them into server storage with data intact later."

The idea I was toying with was to follow the instructions at the bottom of the 2nd FAQ you directed me to that provide detailed instructions for recovering data from the folder DE.  After completing the copy of that data to another storage location (external HDD or HDD on another PC) I was planning to put the drive back into the server and then running the recovery process.

Does the advice you provided in your Note: apply to this scenario?

btw...you're assumption that I'm not running 2011 is correct.  I bought a copy of it, but luckily never installed it...sounds like I should return it, eh?

Thanks again!

Sunday, June 17, 2012 5:37 PM
  • I wouldn't say you should return it. I'd say you should get more modern hardware (perhaps an HP microserver) if you're going to install it, however. :)

As for removing/replacing drives, what you do while the server is shut down is unimportant, as long as the drives are all there when you attempt the server recovery process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:26 PM